Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CC Type Tool issue

Oct 15, 2013 6:37 AM

Tags: #ps #type #tool.

My Type tool is adding punctuation to the bginning of a sentence. Checked the only thing I could think of (type preferences) and these are the options....
Im in Canada. Not east Asia or middle East.

Untitled-1.jpg

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to fox0001234

Just some random ideas...

• Have you updated to Photoshop CC 14.1.2?

• Try disabling the Use Smart Quotes setting.

• Try resetting the Type Tool by selecting the Horizontal Type Tool, right-clicking the T in the options bar, and choosing Reset Tool.

• Try resetting all Photoshop preferences to default by pressing and holding Control - Shift - Alt while cold-starting (you have to be quick to get the keys down), then confirming the prompt asking you to delete the current preferences.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to fox0001234

I'm seeing the same issue in Photoshop 13.0.5 running on a 2010 MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.5. This is the latest version for CS6. One of Noel's reset procedures seems to have cleared up the problem, but not for existing text blocks. New text blocks (created since the various preference resets) now longer manifest the issue.

You can leave smart quotes on — it doesn't trigger the problem for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to GerryManacsa

Update: I'm still seeing the same issue on a system running Photoshop 13.0.5 and OS X 10.8.5 on a 2010 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM installed, 2.7GB free. The intermittent nature of the problem fooled me.

To reiterate the issue as it manifests for me, see also the attached sample screen :

1. Punctuation marks and special characters at the end of a line of text are rendered at the beginning of the line.
    2. Multiple special characters at the end start rendering right-to-left at the beginning of the line.
    3. Ending a line with an alphanumeric character (including accented versions) renders properly.
    4. Characters which are mis-positioned at the beginning of a line can still be deleted by first positioning the cursor at the beginning of the next line, then deleting backward. The character is still treated as though it's at the end of the line, even if it is being rendered at the beginning of the line.
    5. The issue manifests for both paragraph text and point text.
    6. The issue is intermittent. Some newly created blocks manifest the problem, some do not.
    7. Duplicates of properly working text blocks continue to work correctly. Duplicates of problem text blocks continue to manifest the problem.

special-character-positioning-bug.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to fox0001234

One final workaround that finally has cleared up this issue for me…

The problem appears to be related to the Middle Eastern text display feature, which explains the way that multiple special characters at the end of the line are being displayed right-to-left at the beginning of the line. I am using Photoshop in English and I don't use the Middle Eastern text display features at all, but it somehow seems to be manifesting here.

The workaround is simple:

1. In Photoshop, go to the "Type" menu.
    2. For "Font Preview Size", select "None".

text-bug-workaround.jpg

That's it.

I found the workaround documented here:

http://blog.hype4.com/2013/03/23/photoshop-cs6-first-impressions-bugs- and-awesome-new-features/#more-2265

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points