Skip navigation
Zenoneath
Currently Being Moderated

SPry menu bar help

Jan 7, 2008 5:42 AM

I have recently migrated from MS frontpage '03 to Dreamweaver CS3. I must admit , for a novice at WYSIWYG and a complete beginner at the html code, this transition was not as easy as I expected. However after purchasing a few books, and viewing some of the vids of adobe , I finally got the hang of things.

I am busy designing a school website, using one of the html templates offered by DW CS3 (two coloumns elastic,right sidebar, header and footer). I have inserted a spry horizonal Navigation bar under the banner(which is a jpg). Both th espry navigation and the banner is in the header part of the html template.

I have encountered three probs:
1) I cant change the colour of the spry menu bar and its drop down menu. When I look at the code/split view, I do not see any code relating to the color of the menu bar (ie. #999999).

2) I dont seem to know how to align the spry menu directly under the banner. (there is a slight space between the banner and the spry menu )

3) Also there is a slight grey space on top and at the bottom of the banner (even after I set the padding to 0px)

A reply would be highy appreciated Text Text gg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2008 6:27 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    Hi Zenoneath,
    Possible answers to your probs:
    1. Using the spry menubar, you also are linked to a sprymenubarhorizontal.css (look in your HEAD code), the css is located in the spryassets dir. Read the grey text between the css code and you find your answer to the colors.
    2. Perhaps within the same CSS you can position the menubar exactly. otherwise place the complete menubarcode in a div and give this div a classname and position it within a css stylesheet.
    3. Most likely, using a DW template, your already linked to a specific CSS file wich is combined with the template. In that CSS file you will find the headerdiv, and can change bg color there.

Looks like it all about CSS... life is simple...sometimes.
    Hope it will work for you!
    Hans

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2008 2:22 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    Hi, hans haverlach!
    CSS is good.
    How I can align text "vertically middle" in each button (or all buttons)?
    Horizontally all ok (align left, right, etc.)
    (bacause in some buttons I have two text lines)

Please help!

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2008 6:48 AM   in reply to intssed
    Hi,
    Well you should add this css line: vertical-align: middle;
    in the right class, i'm not sure which one, it's a bit trial and error i guess.
    By the way: in my spry menubars the text is standard aligned to middle (vertically), even with two lines of text.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2008 10:42 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    Thanks!
    I have try add new Property without results "vertical-align: middle;
    ". All texts ever on the top of buttons.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2008 12:25 PM   in reply to intssed
    perhaps you can show me a link to your page, or send the code, so i can have a look at it.
    Hans

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2008 5:44 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    Hi,
    I'm glad it worked for you!
    I think you should use CSS again! You can use the horizontal spry menubar, but in it's CSS file not use the backgroundcolors, remove them, but instead use a backgroundimage (your ps slices), and use a different bg image (the roll over state) in the 'hover' classes in the CSS file. That should work.

Hans

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2008 6:53 AM   in reply to OS jediha
    About the menu and submenu made with spry extention
    When you visualize the menubar with I.E.7 you can see the submenu pass perfectly in front of the under space but if you use Mozille firefox or Opera you can see the sub-menu pass behind ....I want meen if you have a image or un object flash under you menubar the sub menu appear behind the image you can see in my web page So I suppose there are an intervention to do in the CSS to get the same position like in I.E.7
    If someone have an ideaI will thank you very much my web

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2008 8:06 AM   in reply to campanapa
    Well the position is absolu the index Z 1010 is work for I.E.7 but not for Mozilla and Opera...........

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2008 4:49 AM   in reply to campanapa
    Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to use frames with a sort of table of contents in the left sidebar frame. In this left sidebar I'm trying to use the spry menubar and when the submenus show up (IE), they appear BEHIND the center/middle frame. I haven't looked at the code yet, but wondered if anyone might know a "quick" fix for this??

I guess maybe spry wasn't meant to be used in/across frame(sets)?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2008 7:30 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    Possibly . . .
    The use of a z-index (as opposed to x & y coordinates "indices") relates to the "stacking" order of layers. A z-index value of 500 is "closer" to the viewer than a z-index of 400.
    For example:
    <li z-index="500">
    can be written into your code, item by item, with differing values for differing looks.
    2 is closer to the viewer than 1 & 500 is closer to the viewer than 400, but there is no difference as far as "distance". "500" is as far away from "1" as "2" is, if those are the only DIV's (layers) values you are referencing . . .
    I'm not familiar with frames - they've been shunned by my mentors.
    And, I may not be their best student . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2008 7:48 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    do you mind to share your school site with me.? i really want to see it and help you in some parts. In these days i am using div in style sheet and cs3 work great for me in macro media.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2008 12:13 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    to do best work in cs. follow the rule w3 org. i use the cssgarden as best example in css.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2008 4:45 AM   in reply to Zenoneath
    never looked at the code, wondering some one might know a "quick" fix for this

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points