Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting the proper Aspect Ratio or full picture size on Youtube - PE 11

Oct 15, 2013 7:16 PM

HOpe someone can tell what settings I should be using.

I edited together video from a video camera shooting at DVD quality - 720 by 480 for 4:3 aspect ratio.   It does a little bit of letterboxing, my newest videos, no matter what format I burn the file to, comes out looking smaller than teh Youtube windo.   Previous videos I edited in PE7, some look like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nhlLXGuPhY.   But others look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTjPLuqxpHc.    They were all uploaded as MPEG files.   I've tried MP4 and get the same result.   When I've tried to do my latest video in wide screen, they look okay, but for some reasons, where I have multiple image sources on the screen at the same time, the wipes don't come out right.   I stayed with 4:3 and it looks fine, but I'd like to fill the sceen like the first video.   As I'm looking at them, some of the videos fill the screen, and others do not.   Can't figure out what I'm doing different.   Any ideas of what settings I should use?:

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

This is what I would like you to do and then let us know the results.

Given that you have Premiere Elements 11 (for now presuming running on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit) and your footage is 720 x 480 4:3 (DVD quality).

Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace. Go to its File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset manually for NTSC DV Standard.

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before you exit the new project dialog. Close out of there. Back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, use Add Media/ to import your files into the project.

If the Timeline content duration is less than 15 minutes, you can use Publish+Share/Online/YouTube with a preset of Flash Video for YouTube.

If you decide to export your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload that file from there to YouTube at the YouTube web site, you can use Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - NTSC DV Standard.

Please give the above a try and then let us know the results. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

Please clarify. I just watched the YouTube video accessed from the link provided in your latest post (2).

The video presents at playback filling the YouTube screen, and, Full Screen on my computer monitor when I hit Full Screen.

(Computer monitor = 19 in Widescreen, native resolution 1440 x 900.)

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

Thanks for the follow up.

As for the old project, in the Edit Mode monitor is the image filling the space provided there for the project preset? If no, then scale using Motion Panel expanded's Scale slider OR click on the monitor and drag on one of the handles of the bounding box that appears there.

If you right click the video in Project Assets and select Interpret Footage, what is shown for Pixel Aspect Ration there?

Yes, when you set the project preset manually always put a check mark after "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" after you set the project preset and before you exit the new project dialog.

Also, for any exports to file, double check the settings, including those under the Advanced Button of the preset. And, keep away from any setting for Automatic According to Source (or worded something like that).

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

The Adobe party line is that you cannot change project preset after you are in the Edit phase. But I have shown that you can under certain circumstances by editing the Notepad document for the saved project.prel. But, often it is easier to start a new project. Here is a blog post that I wrote on the subject in order to give you an idea what would be involved.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-with out.html

I will take another look at your last several posts to see if I can pick up on anything that would help.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

It is just after midnight where I am. I wanted to let you know that I saw you latest post and will reply first thing in the early morning.

More later.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

It is easy enough to change your NTSC DV Standard into NTSC DV Widescreen type project editing the Notepad document of the saved project.prel file.

If you have set for a NTSC DV Standard project, you can give that a NTSC DV Widescreen project look by changing ALL the Notepad incidents of the following

FROM

<PixelAspectRatio>10,11</PixelAspect Ratio>

<FrameRect>0,0,720,480</FrameRect>

TO

<PixelAspectRatio>40,33</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect>0,0,720,480</FrameRect>

And, if you if you set for a NTSC DV Widescreen project, you can give that a NTSC DV Standard project look by changing ALL the Notepad incidents of the following

FROM

<PixelAspectRatio>40,33</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect<0,0,720,480</FrameRect>

TO

<PixelAspectRatio>10,11</PixelAspectRatio>

<FrameRect<0,0,720,480</FrameRect>

Note that the second line (<FrameRect<0,0,720,480</FrameRect>) is not changing...just that first line starting with <PixelAspectRatio etc.

But here is the key to all this. We need to nail down the properties of the source media going into a project so that we can set the project preset to match the properties of your source media. At this point, I suspect that your source media is 720 x 480, but beyond that I am not sure. Did we ever get a complete MediaInfo (tree view) properties read out for that video. Unless we have that to back us up we will be going around in circles with the remedy suggested above...one that I am not sure if it really applies to your case.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

At any rate, your look into the Notepad document of your saved project prel file confirms that you have a project set for NTSC DV Standard. But, the big question is does that match the properties of your "720 x 480" 4:3

that you are describing for your source media?

See if you can post the MediaInfo (tree view) screenshot. It is likely to clear up a lot of matters here.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

We need to look at the "tree" view for the MediaInfo properties readout. To get at that

a. Go to View Menu/Tree

or

b. Click on the arrow at the end of the Note in the middle of that page that you show in the screenshot.

Very interesting so far, seems that you have 720 x 480 16:9 @ 59.940 frames per second. Need to know if

what you have is interlaced or progressive, and, if interlaced, Upper or Lower Field First. With that abbreviated decription shown, I suspect that we will see interlaced, probably Upper Field First. But, let us see what the details show.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

That is one interesting blend of properties in the properties readout in your screenshot.

Please confirm what we are looking at in the screenshot of your latest post. Is that actual (original) footage from your camera that was supposed to be recording 720 x 480 4:3 which you describe as DVD quality? If so, what was the brand and model of the camera used. If not, how did we get to what is in that screenshot?

What you show in that screenshot would be classed as AVCHD LITE

AVCHD video compression

Frame Size 720 x 480

(since it says display aspect ratio 16:9, I am assuming that there has to be a 16:9 flag in there somewhere to stretch the video for display after encoding)

Frame Size 59.94 progressive frames per second

The closest fit that comes to mind for that and Premiere Elements would be in

NTSC DV Widescreen

If the video is presenting in Premiere Elements as 4:3 instead of 16:9, we could go the Interpret Footage route,

changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio from what is showing to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)

But, please recap regarding the above and then we will think about this some more.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 9:31 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

In your very first post you mentioned "letterboxing". My understanding of that is that camera make 4:3 video look like 16:9 by masking the top and bottom of the 4:3. The frame size says the same, but what you see is different.

By an chance could your video problems be traced to a camera letterboxing feature that sometimes you have on and sometimes off?

ATR

Add On...I am not sure if we have arrived at converting letterbox to full screen, but here is a link I found with a suggestion on how to approach that idea.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/50716-Changing-letterbox-to-full-sc reen

I will look around for more of the same if this turns out to be at the core of your present issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

Please recap....referring to your post numbered 19.

Screenshot top...what is the project preset set at for that one?

Screenshot bottom...what is the project preset set at for that one?

What are the properties of the source video that imported into the project in the upper screenshot?

What are the properties of the source video that imported into the project in the lower screenshot?

Does that video audio properties that you showed in post 15 correspond to the videos displayed in your latest post 19?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2014 8:53 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

Thanks for reminding me in another of your threads today that this issue was still pending.

I am responding now to move this thread to the top of the current threads showing. I will work on this tonight or tomorrow. Right now it is pushing midnight where I am.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 7:31 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

We have come a long way around those black borders and orientations for your video. At this point, I am driven to look outside the box for a fix. Your posted video audio properties have continuously  defied viewing video expectations. So, Premiere Elements users forgive me, but I think this will work in spite of what you about read

Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Expert workspace

Set Project Preset manually

File Menu/New/Project

NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD30

Close out of there, making sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project"

Back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace

Import your video into the project via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you will drag your video to the Timeline. The video should fit full in the Edit Mode monitor. Remove any traces of black borders with scaling.

Note: To the best of my understanding of the Buddycat video that we have imported, it is

720 x 480 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second, with a Display Aspect Ratio = 16:9.

For the export...

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with preset = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

BUT under the Advanced Button of the preset, it should be set exactly as

BuddycatPreset.JPG

The Bitrate that got cut off at the bottom of the screenshot is

Target Bitrate = 32 Mbps

Maximum Bitrate = 40 Mbps

Leave them as is for now. Can be altered if file size problems.

The end result should be

720 x 480 @59.94 progressive frames per second (Display Aspect Ratio = 16.9)

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).mp4

No Black Borders

Playable in Windows Media Player 12 Full Screen

Verdict pending.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2014 7:46 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

Thank you for your spirit of adventure in trying out the suggested workflow in post 23.

I have road tested this, starting with a source personally constructed to the specifications of your video (as per the MediaInfo readout) and it worked....no black borders and good look.

I am keeping positive thoughts that this will work for you also.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 4:44 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

I think that you must be referring to the following in my post numbered 23

Back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace

Import your video into the project via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you will drag your video to the Timeline. The video should fit full in the Edit Mode monitor.

Remove any traces of black borders with scaling.

If that is it, click on the Edit Mode monitor to bring up the bounding box for the image. Use one of the bounding box's handles essentially to scale (width & height together) to get rid of any black edges that might be present. If present, they should be minor, very minor. No more than minor, very minor.

If you want to do just scale width or just scale height, then remove the check mark next to Constrain Proportions in Motion Panel expanded. It should not have to come to that.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2014 8:03 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

If the first screenshot is what you are getting before scaling, those are black borders not very minor black edges.

Tomorrow I will post screenshots of what I got when I took a model source (with all the properties displayed in your video properties readout) and ran it through the workflow that I described.

Let me show you my results and then we can compared notes. I do not know if testing a sample of your the video that you are displaying via screenshot will help.

Please review the video properties readout in post 15 and let me know if there have been any changes there from then until now.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 8:14 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

The 29.97 interlaced frames per second vs the 59.94 progressive frames

720 x 480 4:3 vs 720 x 480 16:9

make my latest attempt to salvage your footage meaningless.

Please confirm that you using, at this time, Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit?

In view of the MediaInfo properties readout for what you say you are now using, it should be a clear cut case of

Project Preset = NTSC DV Standard

(set that manually so that you know for sure that is the project preset and that the Premiere Elements is not messing up on that)

Export example

for AVCHD.mp4 720 x 480 4:3

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with preset = MP4- NTSC DV Standard

or

for DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC Dolby DVD

or

for YouTube Upload

Publish+Share

YouTube

with preset = Flash Video for YouTube

OR

upload the AVCHD.mp4 (described above) to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

If you still have black borders in any of the above, then you need to take a hard look at the device that is recording your video and what is happening to that video on the route from the camera.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 12:06 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

That letterboxing question is what I asked you way back when regarding your camera recording?

17. A.T. Romano,

Oct 21, 2013 9:31 PM    in reply to Buddycat 

Buddycat

In your very first post you mentioned "letterboxing". My understanding of that is that camera make 4:3 video look like 16:9 by masking the top and bottom of the 4:3. The frame size says the same, but what you see is different.

By an chance could your video problems be traced to a camera letterboxing feature that sometimes you have on and sometimes off?

ATR

Add On...I am not sure if we have arrived at converting letterbox to full screen, but here is a link I found with a suggestion on how to approach that idea.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/50716-Changing-letterbox-to-full-sc reen

I will look around for more of the same if this turns out to be at the core of your present issues.

Right now Yes seems the appropriate answer to your question

Is it possible that my actualy video image is not 720 x 480?   Maybe it's only 720 x 480 if you count the black bars?   Thus, it makes a 4:3 simulate 16:9?

Can you contact the manufacturer of the camera to verify what you believe you are recording?

Please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...At this point, scaling the video to fit the space in the Edit Mode monitor may be the major way to salvage what you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 12:36 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

I do not write or sell books. I do write a blog (free, no ads) to keep track of my Premiere Elements adventures. I suspect that you might be referring to the activities of the forum moderator Steve Grisetti.

Back to you situation....

I can see letterboxing versus non letterboxing initially when we were dealing with these videos with the display aspect ratio of 16:9.

But, in the present situation with those 720 x 480 4:3 video specifications, that letterboxing is hard to buy.

Do you have the time to take a look at the 720 x 480 4:3 file in Project Assets of your Premiere Elements 11? If so, right click the video thumbnail and select Properties. When you do, what do you see for pixel aspect ratio? Is it 0.9091 or something else?

It is hard to get a handle on how your camera might be giving you a 4:3 frame and have within it the scene displaying at pixel dimensions less than frame size to give you those black borders.

Is the camera's User Manual available somewhere so that we might study it for clues?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2014 1:49 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

I will check out the link and see if I can put this together - the video source, editing, export, and the player settings.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 8:48 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Buddycat

Great idea.

Please double check to assure that the video sample is the same that you are currently working with and which is ending up displaying with the black borders in

import

or

edit

or

export.

Are you going to set it up as a link to Dropbox or something else?

ATR

Add Ons....

If you have a video 720 x 480 4:3 with a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9091 and you change the pixel aspect ratio to square pixels, you have 720 x 480 which is not 4:3.

The 720 x 480 with the pixel aspect ratio of 0.9091 represents

720 x 480 non square pixel which is equivalent to

640 x 480 square pixels which is the 4:3.

When do you recall doing this file change?

Anyway....I will base my findings on what the video audio properties readout shows and deal with what we actually have. But, whatever you send, please double check that this is the final variant of what you are trying to get to finished export.

By the way, please remind what format of the export we are aiming for without black borders.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points