Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to overlay two images - masking?

Oct 16, 2013 5:25 AM

I have some video footage of my subject very close up, looking through a telescope.   There's a pretty obvious reflection of me in the lense of the telescope.   How could I overlay a round image over the lense like it's the reflection (without the black of the rest of the screen surrounding the image)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to Buddycat

The Track Matte would be the ideal tool for this.

But how it's applied, depends on which version of the program you're using.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to Buddycat

I show you step by step how to use the Track Matte in my book, if you're interested.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

Basically, you put your background video on Video 1 and the video you want to appear in your telescope on Video 2, directly above it. Then, on Video 3, you open the Titler and use the Graphics tools to draw a white circle over the area of the video you want your telescope video to appear on.

You then create a keyframed animation, if necessary, so that this white dot follows the location of the telescope -- if this area moves around. If not, you don't need to.

Then you apply the Track Matte effect to the video on Video 2 and, in its Applied Effects, you set the Track Matte to use Video 3 as its matte.

Voila!

Although, as I say, it's easier to show you in the book, with illustrations, than it is to describe it on this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Remember that you need to add the keyframed animation to the white dot BEFORE you apply the Track Matte. Otherwise, it won't take.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Buddycat

I'm not sure what the tutorial advised you.

But, as I show you in my book, if you set up the white dot's position prior to adding the Track Matte, it should work.

Do note, however, that the white dot will look much bigger when you're in Title Adjustments than when your'e in the regular editing mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to Buddycat

Make sure you're not in Title Adjustments when you set up the white dot size and location. Open Applied Effects and use Motion properties of Scale and Position.

I think you're doing a great job! It's a very cool effect!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to Buddycat

Great news, Buddy! And thanks for supporting the book!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points