Skip navigation
Gretsche
Currently Being Moderated

How to transport tagged jpg between Operating Systems  Mac/XP

Oct 16, 2013 4:39 PM

Tags: #adobe #bridge #mac #windows #xp #tag #intergration

I have tagged my jpg images with Adobe Bridge on a mac and have now sent the whole folder to a Windows7 user for him to use searching, but in is PC the search doesnt work.

If they open one of the jpg in photoshop they can see the file has KEYWORDS.

But if they look at the Windows 'properties' the e.g. keyword there are blank.

And (suprise suprise) Windows' 'Search' doesnt work.

What do we have to do?

Is it different if it was Windows Vista or XP?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to Gretsche

If they use Windows Explorer and right click on image then open Properties and details tab does it show keywords?

If not what OS in Mac are you using?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 17, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to Gretsche

I have tagged my jpg images with Adobe Bridge on a mac and have now sent the whole folder to a Windows XP users for him to use searching, but in XP the search doesnt work.

This means you have written data into a file and normal search procedure for the OS itself will not find this data due to limited search criteria. e.g. on a Mac  using Find it will not find the keywords either unless you specify this in your search using the option 'other' and then select 'keywords', don't know how it works on Windows but suspect not very different behavior.

But most photo applications should be able to read xmp data and IPTC info so that will have a better result.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 17, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to Gretsche

is there a way to get these searchable?

The use of a photo application would be preferred and possible the easiest way, for Windows system itself I have no idea, I use a Mac for 20 years now to great satisfaction…

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Gretsche

Have never used a mac, so do not know how they write keywords.  They should be written to the image so they are portable.  If you see no keywords in Win Ex. would suggest you are not writing to image but to some other file PS can read.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to Gretsche

I am a metadata noob, but I was under the impression that Windows Explorer basically ignores XMP metadata, although that it can show metadata in categories that XMP shares with other metadata protocols, including, for example IPTC.  If that is the case, then Windows Bridge should show the same metadata as under Mac, and allow searching by similar criteria.  Does your Win7 colleague have Bridge, perhaps installed with Photoshop, and would its search capabilities serve?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points