Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS6 - Replacing Clips

Oct 16, 2013 8:37 PM

Hello all.  I'm using Audition CS6 to create a stereo mix for a feature film.  I inserted the picture-locked video for sync/reference, then added all of the dialogue, SFX and score tracks.  I went through and chopped up each track into clips, ready to rock. 

I'm using a third-party application (RX3) for noise reduction, and I'm trying to edit individual clips offline so I can apply the noise reduction/spectral repair/etc then bring the fixed clip back into Audition.  Unfortunately, the plug-in version doesn't work very well so editing the audio in the standalone version is what yields the best results.  The problem I'm running into is that when I bring the clips back into Audition, there doesn't seem to be a way to line up the new clip with the original.  If snapping is enabled, it rarely lines up exactly, which means my dialogue will be out of sync.  If I turn off snapping and try to do it manually, Audition automatically inserts crossfades between the two clips.  Here's my workflow:

Select clip within Audition

Right-click>Convert to Unique Copy

Double-click the clip to open in Waveform Editor

Double-click to Select All

Right-click>Save Selection As

Open the newly saved file in RX3, apply fixes, then save.

Drag new version of file into Audition, on top of original clip.

Sometimes it lines up perfectly without crossfades; usually it doesn't.

It's a ridiculously tedious process, but I can't for the life of me find a "Replace Clip" option, whereas I could simply select the original clip in the Audition multitrack timeline, use a replace function, point to the fixed audio file, and done.  That feature would eliminate all of the sync/crossfade problems I'm having, but I haven't figured out how to do it.

(Yes, I'm aware that Audition comes with its own noise reduction tools, but truth be told, I've found RX3 to be easier and more effective.)

Any tips on how I can export a single clip out of Audition, fix it offline, then bring the fixed version back into Audition to replace the original clip while keeping everything in sync??

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to streckfus

As an RX3 user myself, I can feel some of the pain in this. It's the same with any externally processed file, and yes, a simple (but inherently dangerous) 'replace' command would go a long way.

My approach to this though is different. I do all of the processing necessary first, before anything gets anywhere near multitrack view, and sidestep the problem completely. With RX3, the processing time has speeded immensely, so even attacking large unedited chunks isn't such a pain now. Indeed sometimes it's an advantage to have the whole file available - you invariably get more choice in what you can select as a background reference, and if you have that choice, it's the way that the RX NR works best.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to streckfus

Once you've converted the clips to a unique copy and saved them to disk, you could open those new files in RX3, perform your changes, and save, overwriting the file on disk.  This will change the raw assets on disk and should update the clip contents in Audition without requiring relinking, though you might want to back them up prior to modification in RX3 in case you wish to revert back.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to streckfus

Which version of Vegas are you using? All my audio clips from Audition appear at the correct level when imported into Vegas, no clipping either on the track or on the meters. Your Vegas Master channel fader is set to '0dB' not at the top. There is 12dB extra gain available with the fader right at the top.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:38 PM   in reply to _durin_

Just as an FYI, I've done the procedure Durin mentions (though not for RX3--you guys have more money than me!) and it works well.  I'm paranoid enough that I do a "Save As" on the clip I'm copying to new just to make sure I still have the original but I don't think I've ever had to resort to using it.

It's a bit of effort but it works.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points