Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Set image colour settings for multiple images

Oct 17, 2013 2:48 AM

In my workflow I place (Adobe)RGB images into InDesign. PDF export takes care of the RGB to CMYK conversion (convert to destination with preserve numbers).

However this uses the default rendering intent for every conversion: relative colorimetric.

For images, i want to use perceptual.

Is there a way to quickly select all images and change the rendering intent?

All the images have the same ojbect style. Unfortunately i could not find a way to couple the rendering intent to the object style.

Replies
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 17, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to dmtetard

However this uses the default rendering intent for every conversion: relative colorimetric.

Are you also using RGB swatches and color in the document? Why not set the intent to perceptual in Color Settings?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 17, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to dmtetard

You can do it it via Assign Profiles...

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 8.56.12 AM.png

It can also be scripted, something like this AppleScript:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

tell active document

set imgs to all graphics

repeat with x from 1 to count imgs

if class of item x of imgs is image then

try

set image rendering intent of item x of imgs to perceptual

end try

end if

end repeat

end tell

end tell

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 17, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to dmtetard

The InDesign UI implies that perceptual should be used for images—Rendering Intent: Perceptual (Images), but I'm not sure that's the case—I almost always use relative.

The intent is just a strategy for bringing out-of-gamut colors into the destination space, so if an image is way out-of-gamut and has some subtle tonality then perceptual might be preferable because it will distribute the out-of-gamut color more evenly, sacrificing optimal saturation for tonality. But I find those kinds of photographic images are somewhat rare. For images that are just slightly out, which is more common, relative will do a better job maintaining saturation and tonality won't be a problem because the colors that are out don't have as far to move.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Oct 17, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to dmtetard

Btw, i notice the settings do not have any effect on RGB pictures in placed PDFs. Is there a way to do that?

Don't think so, you could convert the PDF RGB images in Acrobat, but you would want to be careful that you don't get an additional CMYK-to-CMYK conversion at the final export. It's hard to beleive anything awful would happen if you let vector RGB convert via perceptual.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points