Skip navigation
Floris342
Currently Being Moderated

Error when exporting to pdf - cannot read a jpeg image, but I do not know which jpeg image.

Oct 17, 2013 5:11 AM

Tags: #jpeg #pdf #indesign #cs6 #jpg

I have created a document (A5) in Indesign cs6 with 116 pages. Because I would like to print the book I want to export it to pdf. Normally this is no problem for me, but now I got the following error: "Error encountered while reading JPEG image. Image may be damaged or incompatible. Resave the image with different settings and try again." This is quite annoying as my book contains 631 links of which most are .jpg. Does anyone know how I can find out which picture gives the error?

What is remarkable is the following. As it is a very large file InDesign automatically splitted it in subsections (with names like 'A5 V' or 'A5 V3'). To get closer to the problem I tried to export each subsection (all between 3 and 30 pages) to pdf. But somehow I managed to do this, so one might think that there is nothing wrong with the document at all. But when I try to expor the document as a whole again I still get this error about the JPEG image. It takes a couple of minutes (somewhere between 30 and 40% of the exporting) before I get the error.

Is there anything I should have tried which I forgot? I hope anyone can help me with this problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to Floris342

If you are able to export as sections it's almost certainly not actually a problem with the image, but a problem of not enough system resources to finish the job. This is not uncommon with large complex PDF exports.

Try rebooting, then immediately open ID and try the export again first thing. If it works, great. If  not, you can combine your sections into a single PDF in Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points