Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AI won't allow font name to be changed

Oct 17, 2013 7:34 AM

A colleague gave me a document using a font I don't have: UniversLTStd*   I have Univers..the real family

Illustrator won't allow me to change the name to Univers; it insists on keeping it UniversLTStd*

I can type some other letter like A___ and it will change the font.

How can I get Illustrator to bend to my will and accept the change to Univers without scrolling all the way down in the type menu?

thanks!

w

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Put an instance of the font you want to use on the document, then:

Screen shot 2013-10-17 at 9.38.53 AM.png

But instead of Rockwell and Myriad, it would say universeA universeB

Screen shot 2013-10-17 at 9.39.12 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

wkjeiwoi wrote:

Illustrator won't allow me to change the name to Univers; it insists on keeping it UniversLTStd*

I can type some other letter like A___ and it will change the font.

How can I get Illustrator to bend to my will and accept the change to Univers without scrolling all the way down in the type menu?

thanks!

w

If you type the name of the font in the font menu available on the Control bar, you are not changing the name of fonts but you are searching for a font. It is like typing in the Google search box and it is guessing your search. Sometimes Illustrator search guessing capabilities are poor and can make it hard to find the font this way.

Alternatively, you can also right click on the text in your document and choose Font or use the menu Type > Font then, in your case looking for Univers, keep pressing U until you get the desired font that starts with U.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

It could be a locked sub layer, Open all of your layers in the layers pallette and check.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points