Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using Eyedropper with Curves

Oct 17, 2013 7:56 AM

When using Curves to increase contrast for an image, I see that some people will use the eyedropper to define an anchor point on the Curve to manipulate, and others just seem to drag on a spot on the curve without first using the eyedropper.

1. Is there a reason to not use the eyedropper, and instead just drag a point on the curve?

2. Won't using the eyedropper always be more accurate than just eyeballing a spot on the curve to drag?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to media kat

1. Is there a reason to not use the eyedropper, and instead just drag a point on the curve?

With experience (and preferably a calibrated monitor) it may be possible to judge which luminance region one wishes to edit approximately.

And dragging a Curve point will elicit visual feedback that allows to correct the editing anyway.

2. Won't using the eyedropper always be more accurate than just eyeballing a spot on the curve to drag?

»accurate«? With regard to what?

You make no mention of Adjustment Layers – do you apply Curves destructively?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to media kat

I am using an Adjustment Layer. I guess with regards to "Accurate" it is somewhat subjective as to what makes good contrast for an image? Two people wouldl ikely end up with slightly different results anyways, right?

If you were to provide the same image to two image editors and instruct them to improve the contrast I suspect seldom would you get the exact same result from both.

When setting the White Point the values (or the closest ones feasible) at that point should be set to output zero.

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (like Layers) visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to media kat

And that is what the white and black point eyedroppers are supposed to do.

If you want to set a point on the composite curve set the Properties Panel to »Auto Select Targeted Adjustment Tool« and click in the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to media kat

I may have misunderstood what you are talking about, so I’ll try to clarify:

• You need not select the Eyedropper Tool from the Toolbox to edit Curves Adjsutments.

• The White and Black Point Eyedropper are intended to define points in an image as white and black. That means the values of that point are made 0 and 255 respectively if they are not close to opposite extremes already.

This can be usefull in badly exposed or faded images or scanned images on a darkish substrate when one wants to increase the contrast or when editing Masks based on channels from images.

• In the old modal dialog (which I stil use) command-clicking in the image would create a corresponging point on the curve.

If the non-modal former Adjustments -, now Properties Panel is set to »Auto Select …« selecting a Curves Layer should change the cursor to an eyepicker symbol and simply clicking in the image should create a pont on the Curve which can be moved manually or with the arrow keys.

And click-dragging should create the point on the Curve and move it vertically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points