Skip navigation
akanoworms
Currently Being Moderated

Entry Level Laptop for CS6

Oct 17, 2013 8:24 AM

Hello, im new to the forum and have been looking through a lot of posts about machine specs over the past couple of days. Hoping someone can help!

I'm looking to buy a budget machine (approx £1500 max) to run CS6. We will be using Illustrator and Photoshop for fairly basic tasks (producing brochures, editing photos etc. ) It will all be static design work ( no video).

Most of the posts ive come across are discussing "video" , i am trying to find out if we can get away with a lower spec machine for our basic requirment. We're looking at this 4gb RAM lenovo W530 as its just about the right price level.

http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-w530-intel-core-i7-3630qm -4gb-500gb-15-6--windows-7-pro-64bit-preload---windows-8-8PBT.html?re f s=431420000-54600000-4294941858-50600&src=3

Will this do the job? We'll not be using CS6 on a full time basis, ad hoc as and when we need to produce an advert, presentation or som other from of promotional material.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to akanoworms

You are buying high performance software and need a fairly good computer to run them well.  THey will run on a lesser machine, but you will have problems.  At the min. I would get 8 gigs of ram, 2 internal hard drives,  a mid-range video card, and a good monitor.

You can get all this at a cheaper price if you get a desktop computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to akanoworms

I'm not too into computer specs, but I'm always on a budget.  You might want to look at gaming computers.  They tend to have better graphics cards that you'll want for PS.  Not sure how the Euro compares to the US dollar, but I got an ASUS with 16gb RAM for about $1500.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to akanoworms

Looks like it would work fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 6:36 PM   in reply to akanoworms

I actually did a helpful video that may answer your questions and those of other users.
    http://youtu.be/BypkjzYFfRg

Primarily you need to focus on the following:

• Dual to Quad Core Processors at 2.0GHz or hgher
    • Dedicated Video 1GB or Better
    • 4GB of Ram minimum 8GB ideally anything beyond 32GB is overkill unless you go 8Core
    • Multiple Hard Drives, 2 are good so one is used as Scratch Disk, 4 is better 6 with 2 SSD Raid0 as Scatch Disk is Best.

If you want laptop info check out these two articles on my blog:
    http://robertoblake.com/blog/2013/06/thoughts-on-buying-a-photoshop-cc -laptop/
    http://robertoblake.com/blog/2013/08/buying-a-photoshop-mac-laptop-201 3/

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to akanoworms

akanoworms wrote:

My only concern is compatability with Windows 8 ( or preferably whether we could backgrade to to Windows 7)

It will work on Win8 fine, but Win7 is a more robust OS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 10:06 PM   in reply to csuebele

csuebele wrote:

I'm not too into computer specs, but I'm always on a budget.  You might want to look at gaming computers.  They tend to have better graphics cards that you'll want for PS.  Not sure how the Euro compares to the US dollar, but I got an ASUS with 16gb RAM for about $1500.

I'll echo your comments regards gaming laptops.  They tend to have specs close to ideal for Photoshop, and Economy of Scale means that they are priced competitively.  I doubt it will be a factor if you are looking for 'entry level' but don't spend dollars on SLI/Crossfire twined graphics cards, as Photoshop will not make use of them.  In fact, when you have your short list, check out how the graphics cards will work with Photoshop.  You can ask here if you need help.

eBay is a great way to do your research, even if you don't end up buying from eBay.  I recently bought a high specced laptop from TradeMe (New Zealand's answer to eBay) and I am totally stoked by its performance.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points