Skip navigation
genenphoto
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 Cache

Oct 17, 2013 10:11 AM

When I change folders in Bridge CS6, I'm told there's a cache problem and I should purge the cache.  I've purged this several times with no effect, restarting Beidge each time.  Have also rebooted and done a safe boot.  I'd like to reinstall but have no disk, as I originally downloaded the photoshop package when I bought it.

Help with the caching problem appreciated, also a pointer to a download site, which I can't find at adobe.com

Running a Mac Pro with OS 10.8.5, latest Bridge CS6 update.

Thanks,

--Gene

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to genenphoto

How much free disk space to you have?  Need at least 10-20%. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to genenphoto

Depends on how big your drive is. 

How big is your cache?  When was last time you compacted it or trashed and rebuilt?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 18, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to genenphoto

The drivw ha 639 GB capacity.  86 GN are free.  I've tried compacting, purging and trashing with no results.  I just reinstalled OS 10,8,5 with no effect of Bridge's behavior.

Can you specify a bit more, do you use an SSD, I mean, 639 GB is an odd number for a disk unless you add the free 86 GB to it it comes near 750 GB which is more common.

But a Mac Pro has 4 drive bays and 750 GB is still a small number in todays digital world for photography.

Since you can use 10.8 you must have least a 2008 machine and therefore likely to have enough resources, what amount of RAM and VRAM have you installed? (check about this mac under the apple icon top left in the screen)

But supposing you have a HDD and the numbers are right you probably have performance problems in general due to to less free space available.

However with trashing do you mean trashing the Cache folder manually??

And what do you mean with reinstall 10.8.5, if a total reinstall your drive should have been whipped clean and needing new install of applications that first need updating?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 18, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to genenphoto

It makes all the difference but if you can't provide the info asked for we can't help you further.

There are minimum required specifications to assure a good working application.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 18, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to genenphoto

The computer is a Mac Pro, 100 GB RAM,

I don't believe that is a correct number, supposing you have a early 2009 model the max is 32 GB or you should have a special build 8-core actual but that can handle max 96 GB. In those days in dollars the equivalent of a very nice car…

Check again and also check your graphic card, the 2009 came with 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 or NVIDIA GeForce.

512 MB VRAM is the minimum required

1.6 TB of disk in 4 drives.

Depending on your needs but to me this seems a very low number, I have a total of 7.5 TB on disk space in my MacPro 2012. Digital images are very space consuming especially if you use layers in PS.

HDDs are very cheap nowadays as is RAM compared to 10 years back.

The boot drive is 640 GB with 85 GB available.

This really is a very low number, roughly about 13 % free space left. The system, PS and other applications need space to write temporarily data to and 13 % is not that much left, especially if you have a lot of fragmentation going on.

What else do you need?

RAM and VRAM

And the last 2 questions from post 5

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to genenphoto

The issue was the cache.  Assume you do not store the cache on the boot drive.  What is the size of the cache and how much free space on that drive.

100 gb of RAM seems astronomical, is this a typo?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points