Skip navigation
peter.p
Currently Being Moderated

Font replace by boxes

Oct 17, 2013 2:46 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #pdf #text

I'm asking this on behalf of my marketing department so please excuse my wording.

Basically what is happening is they will create this file in illustrator and then print to pdf, when it gets opened in acrobat it is fine. But when you open the same pdf in illustrator it get rotated and the font is replaced by these crossboxes. It happens from time to time more so I'm told on bigger files.  But does not happen when she saves to pdf.

Capture.JPG

I'm not very knowledge about illustrator so I'm not even sure where to start to try and find a solution, so hopefully someone can help me.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to peter.p

PDF is not meant for editing and you need not print to PDF either. Just save as PDF and check "Illustrator editability" (or similar, I don't know the exact wording). Then in Illustrator you edit the AI and in Acrobat you open the PDF. Both are in one file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to peter.p

Then keep the original AI file and use that for editing purposes.

PDF was never meant for editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to peter.p

What font did they use? ASk them to try changing the font.

I had this problem with a customer supplied powerpoint document, that I had to convert to Illustrator. Turned out to be they used one of the fonts that is not meant for print, think it was Calibri.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to peter.p

I have seen this sort of thing happen before. Everything looked o.k. until you opened it in Illustrator.

It turned out that the cause was a dud font.

No-one really seems to know why certain fonts sometimes don’t behave, but get rid of the font and you will most likely get rid of the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to peter.p

If you want to check a PDF, do that in Adobe Acrobat (not Reader). That's what Acrobat is for.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points