Skip navigation
Dennis Stenstrom
Currently Being Moderated

WORD 2003 COVERTING DOCS TO PDF

Oct 17, 2013 3:31 PM

Tags: #create_pdf

I have suddenly lost the functionality of the "Adobe PDF" option (on the File, etc Toolbar) in Word 2003. Instead of giving the normal options such as Create PDF, etc. all that is there is "Other" which when clicked on takes you to a Bluetooth option. I can still ceate a PDF using the Adobe Printer option.  I am using Adobe Acrobat 9.5.  Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to Dennis Stenstrom

Check the Add-ons in WORD and be sure that the Acrobat add-on is enabled. Some of the MS updates seem to turn it off. You might also open Acrobat and use Help>Repair.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to Dennis Stenstrom

I am having a similar problem, cannot create PDFs from Word 2003 documents all of a sudden.  Where do you find this Add-Ons for Word?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to KevWiz

At this point I would try the Repair and see if that does the job.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to Dennis Stenstrom

What OS are you using? I suspect it is XP if you are using OFFICE 2003.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to Dennis Stenstrom

I too have lost the ability to use Adobe PDF printer functions.  I have been all over this forum for an answer to avoid paying Adobe $39.00 for a fix.  I am running Acrobat 10 Standard, version 10.1.8. and have done the repair twice, did a complete uninstall and reinstall, and applied the 10.1.8 updater.  Still not working.

When I attempt to print from an Office 2003 or Office 2010 file, or even a PDF file using the Adobe PDF printer, it always hangs and does not open the file save dialog box as it used to do (to name the file).   It then says process not working and windows 7 closes the program.  A popup states "Access is Denied".  Happens this way every time I attempt to print to the Adobe PDF printer. 

Is there anyone that can help point me to a solution?

Thanks.

UPDATE:  I just tried the "File > Create PDF > from File" and had the same problem.  Popup says "Access is Denied", and the Office program crashes.

DTP

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to Dennis Stenstrom

I am not sure. To the best of my knowledge, PDFMaker should work fine for this combination. Office 2003 and AA 9 are compatible and AA 9 normally works on Win7, though Win7 is not a specified system for AA 9. There may be an issue with 64-bit systems, but OFFICE 2003 is also a 32-bit process and so I would expect it to work.

I have WORD 2007 on this 32-bit Win7 and AA 9.5.5. My WORD>Options shows that I have the "Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin." You should be seeing something similar in WORD 2003.

Patterson:

To troubleshoot, bring up the printer in a application, select the Adobe PDF printer and select Print-To-File. Hopefully this gives a file. Then open the file in Distiller and see if a PDF is created (or you get errors in the Distiller window). I suspect you may be having a problem with AcroTray not running in the background.

You did not indicate your Acrobat version or if Win7 is 32 or 64 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

Hi Bill,

I did indicate my version above as Acrobat Standard, ver 10.1.8.   However I did not indicate that I am running Win 7 Home Edition, 64 bit.

I just attempted to Print to File from an Excel 2003 document using the Adobe PDF printer and in hanged like all the other attempts.  I already checked that Acrotray is enabled.  Any further ideas?

Doug

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points