Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Move up to Premiere Element 12?

Oct 18, 2013 12:52 AM

Hi Guys

I'm about to move up to PE12, I'm using 10 now.

I was looking at the program at Amazon, but it doesn't say if it is 32 or 64 bit.

I read someplace to be sure and get the correct one (I think they were talking aobout downloading it).

Does the boxed disks come with installation files for both versions?

I just want to be sure before I jump into this.

10 really lags a lot as far as the preview window goes, and my computer should run anything pretty quickly.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Actually I'm not sure if I have the 32 or 64 bit version installed, how do I tell?

I looked at the Infomation in the Help window but it doesn't really tell me and it's not installed in the defualt location so I can't tell by that either.

I still want to upgrade anyway but I'd like to know.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Assuming your on a Windows computer, the easiest way to see if you've got the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the program is to look in c:/Program Files on your computer.

If your program is 64-bit, it will appear in the PROGRAM FILES directory.

If it is 32-bit, it wi,ll appear in the PROGRAM FILES (x86) directory.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Premiere Elements (any version) can be confirmed as 32 or 64 bit application using the Process Explorer Sysinternals.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

If you have Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 specifically on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, then you have Premiere Elements as a 64 bit application.

If you have Premiere Elements 11 or 12 on Mac 64 bit, then you have Premiere Elements as a 64 bit application. I have never seen a contradiction to this in practice. On all other operating systems, Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application.

Looking at Premiere Elements 10 get confusing when you look at Program Files vs Program Files (x86) since that version especially sprinkled  its files between the two.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

In prior versions, one could purchase from Adobe as online download or as boxed (with discs) packaging.

For Premiere Elements 12, I was told by Adobe Store that online download was all that they are selling. I had to got to retailer for the boxed (with discs) packaging.

I purchased the Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 bundage packaging. It came with 2 installation discs - one for Windows and one for Mac. The one for Windows should cover the Windows versions and install the appropriate Premiere Elements application.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

>I'm going to let version 12 install in the normal place

Good plan... I have read messages in the past where installing to anything other than "default" has caused problems for people... it "seems" that some drive settings are hard coded in the program, and installling outside of those parameters can cause problems... I always install to defaults, so this comment is only from reading messages, not from personal experience

>Windows 8.1 goes live today, so I'll probably get that done over the weekend before I install PE12

You might want to think about doing a full boot drive backup before 8.1 (and maybe after, before v12)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Now, this ONLY covers the 32-versions of PrE (and other Adobe programs), but I have a special C:\Adobe folder, where ALL of my Adobe programs go, including my 32-bit versions of PrE. While on C:\, the destination for the installation is not the default. Over the years, I have had zero issues with that location. This has worked fine on 3 machines, and offers me quick access to the Adobe apps.

In setting up my 64-bit laptop, I have left things in the default location, and when I install PrE 12, will continue with the default, just to keep things constant.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

I was going to start a new thread on Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

I did the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 64 bit for my laptop yesterday. So far, Premiere Elements 12 64 bit is running well.

There were no problems with the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 using the download from Microsoft, went very smoothly, but it took a long time since my Internet connection is not top of the line.

I have not had much time to do extensive studies yet. More on that another time.

ATR

Add On...Good idea to go with the default locations for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Thanks for the update.

So far my major hangup with Windows 8.1 is related to user account. I expected my Windows 8 user account to carryover to 8.1. I even went through the trouble of doing a custom install of Windows 8.1. I must have missed something. I ended up with a Microsoft Account.

I may follow you in the path back to Windows 8, but I have not encounter any application problems, Premiere Elements or other, with 8.1 yet.

Wishing you success with the 12 on its way to you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

That netplwiz that worked in Windows 8 to bypass the automatic sign in is not working in Window 8.1 although it looks like it should. This afternoon I am going to give looking for the "key to the solution" another try. If no success with that, I just might go back to the factory settings via the computer's Restore option that comes with the computer. Lots of deactivations, uninstalls, reinstalls ahead it looks like.

But, I would ask "When you restored to the factory settings, did it automatically bring back your User Account that you had been using with Windows 8 or did you have to recreate it again?"

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

I went for the One Key Restore feature on my laptop. It did the job of 8.1 back to 8. It is such a pleasure to be back to Windows 8 64 bit with my original user account and password that I can set to bypass in the sign in.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

It looks like the "positive" reports on Win8.1 might have been premature. Some negative reports are starting to come in, such as John T. Smith's here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1318710?tstart=0

Before I update almost anything, I wait a bit, and monitor various forums, to see how things go. Being the "first on my block" has not really appealed to me, at least for the last 15, or so years. I'll let the early adopters sort things out first.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Has Premiere Elements 12 arrived today?

If you are interested, my two following blog posts (one on First Look, other on Daily Discoveries) may be of interest.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/premiere-elements-12-first-look -details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

It is a free blog, no ads. Just me keeping track of Premiere Elements troubleshooting details that are too long to post anywhere else.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Once, I did beta testing for MS's OS's, but had a computer, just for that. I could not trust my working computers to such, as I needed to make $ with those, and could not expend the effort to get clients' work out the door, if things were not working correctly.

Now, I sort of hang back, read, watch and decide.

Since I normally use PrPro for any acutally editing, and PrE mostly for testing on this forum, I have no issues with installing the latest version.

Regarding OS's, I have mostly XP-Pro, and then Win7-64 for my PrPro laptop with CS 6.

Win8 is still out there, though possibly in my future?

Once, I wanted to be on the "cutting edge," but found that could also be the "bleeding edge." With commercial work, one can seldom work that way, as clients do not want to wait, until I sort things out. They should not have to.

I'm hesitant to get my wife a new car, as Mercedes has just released an updated S-Class. I shy from "first year's release," but in this case, MB released the model in Europe almost a year ago. Also, with the AMG model, much is still done by hand, and by one skilled technician, so I will probably pull the trigger, within the next 3 mos.. Hope that I do not regret that move, and wish that I had waited for version 0.2. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/27/2014-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-review-f irst-drive/

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points