Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

extra space when using Minion Pro Font

Oct 18, 2013 4:58 AM

Hi All,

I have applied minion pro regular font to a paragraph and print that file to postscript and converted it to pdf using distiller

My problem is when i copied that paragraph from pdf to a notepad or ms word, there is a extra space occured in between the words like "Th e", "Th is" etc.

If I changed the composer setting to Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer, the problem got solved.

The problem occurs only for Minion Pro Font. Any suggestions/inputs please?

Vandy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to vandy88

Hello Vandy! As I am also an Indesign user, I would like to ask why you would save to Postscript and then distill instead of exporting PDF, what "composer settings" are and why you would copy text from a PDF to Word or Notepad instead of exporting the Indesign file to HTML.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to vandy88

How old is that version of Minion Pro? It looks like a bug in the font with ligatures, and it might have been fixed in a newer version.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 1:00 AM   in reply to vandy88

Hi, for Western Languages you you can and you should use Adobe Paragraph Composer.

The other one, Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer is more for non-western type like Middle East or Asia.

There exist also several Non-Adobe Composer for different languages than English, they claim to have better results for that language than the original composer has. But you have to pay extra for them and there is no guarantee that they will support the next version of InDesign too.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to vandy88

As far as I know there should be no bad effects for English or other Wesstern languages.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 1:35 AM   in reply to vandy88

Try it. No one here knows your documents and how it will affect them. But I would not recommend to do it. What advantage do you expect from it? I see advantages when I have Hebrew and Arabic type, but with any LTR-Language (English, German, Spanish, Russian, Greek, etc.) I don't see why anyone should use it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points