Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Weird invisable indent/tab

Oct 18, 2013 6:36 AM

Tags: #help #text #indesign #space #copy #tab #indent #weird #cc #invisable

Dear anyone,

Does anyone else have a problem with a weird "space" that makes your text indent to the right? Like, no matter how much you move your text box around, the "space" stays in the same spot and your words just flow around it (like text wrap). See screen shot below.

I thought I had fixed it before. I discovered if you selected the text box and move it to a new layer and then arrowed the text box one space (in any direction) the text would snap back into place. Or also, if you selected all the text and then played around with the "span columns" it would snap back into place. But sadly neither of these are working now.

And this problem happens randomly. A document could be just fine and then suddenly this happens. Wierd! Any help is appreciated because I'm tired of having to start all over.

Thank you!

Becca Tally

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 8.27.31 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

Does it only indent to the end of the current paragraph? You might accidentally be pressing the key combo to insert an "indent to here" character.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

Can you show us a screen shot with non-printing characters visible, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

Have you verified that there is no other frame that is hidden? Nothing on the master page there?

If there really is nothing there, try exporting to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thinking some more...

This happens randomly on multiple files? Does it show up on frames you haven't moved? Does it ever happen when a file is opened, before you begin doing any other work on it?

Any third-party plugins installed in ID, including a font activatin plugin?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

No font manager?

This really sounds like some sort of conflict/configuration issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

Maybe someone else in the forum could take a look at a "sample" file that is misbehaving; you can post it to something like DropBox and put a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

There is a cirlce on the master page with text wrap applied. It is turned off for visibiity, but the text warp is still in force. Here's a screen shot with the cirlce turned on.

Screen shot 2013-10-18 at 11.49.22 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to justacrazywoman

I'm about to run out for the day, but I'll take a look later.

You'r using CC, right? are you patched to 9.1? Unless you have the very latest version of UTC it probably is not compatible and could well be the source of the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to SRiegel

SRiegel's got it. Use the Layers panel to show the items that are on the Default layer on Master A. You can turn that item's visiblity on there and delete it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to Mary Posner

You can also set text wrap to only apply when objects are visible.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to justacrazywoman

I am only curious: Are you never working with Paragraph Styles? Do you never rename Layer with anything else then their default name? You should not do so.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Willi Adelberger wrote:

I am only curious: Are you never working with Paragraph Styles? Do you never rename Layer with anything else then their default name? You should not do so.

Are you saying that if you never work with paragraph styles, you should not do that? It's kind of a double-negative way of saying "do work with paragraph styles," so if that's what you are saying, I agree.

But, it also sounds a little like you are saying that you should never rename a layer (or, is "do you never…?" a sort-of Olivia Newton John way of saying "do you ever…?"). I haven't found renaming layers to be a problem, so if that's what you mean, can you explain why? (And sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 12:38 AM   in reply to Migintosh

Migintosh wrote:

Willi Adelberger wrote:

Are you saying that if you never work with paragraph styles, you should not do that? It's kind of a double-negative way of saying "do work with paragraph styles," so if that's what you are saying, I agree.

But, it also sounds a little like you are saying that you should never rename a layer (or, is "do you never…?" a sort-of Olivia Newton John way of saying "do you ever…?"). I haven't found renaming layers to be a problem, so if that's what you mean, can you explain why? (And sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.)

Are you able to read? I made no statement, I asked a question. Did you see the question mark? It is there, you can see it.

I did so, because the example file looks not very professionell. I did so, because Arial was used.

My opinion is that not even one pargraph in InDesign should be written without any paragraph style and no layer name should remain with its default generic name.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Let's just calm down a bit. First, I was only asking you to clarify something. No need to get personal. Of course I can read. There's no reason to use hyperbole to make a personal attack. You did, in fact make a statement that "You should not do so." …and I just wanted to know what you meant.

Willi Adelberger wrote:

My opinion is that not even one pargraph in InDesign should be written without any paragraph style and no layer name should remain with its default generic name.

That single sentence is all you needed to write, because it tells me the answers that I wanted to know. Wouldn't it make more sense to ask me to clarify my question before assuming it was an insult? I don't know you, and would have no reason to pop off at a stranger, so I hope you will forgive me if what I wrote was unclear, but please, don't make assumptions about me. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 1:08 AM   in reply to Migintosh

Sorry, your answer shows again, that you did not read the "?". I was not insulting you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points