Skip navigation
Jaz8
Currently Being Moderated

.MOD file ready to import to Premiere elements 10

Oct 18, 2013 6:42 AM

Tags: #file #help #video #import #premiere_elements_10 #elements_10 #mod

How do I get movies from a .MOD file (from Canaon camcorder) ready to import to Premiere Elements 10?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to Jaz8

Jaz8

Are these MOD standard or widescreen?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Jaz8

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to Jaz8

Jaz8

Please rename the file extension from .mod to .mpg and determine if that resolves your issue.

You have the best of the .mod scenarios. There is a long standing problem with .mod widescreen where the widescreen (16:9 flag) is either lost or not recognized. The fix there is to import the .mod widescreen which will present as 4:3, not 16:9, and then apply Interpret Footage to it.

We will watch for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to Jaz8

You shouldn't even need to do this. MOD video works just fine in Premiere Elements. Just make sure that when you start your project, you select the settings for Hard Disk Camcorder Standard Definition.

Then connect your camcorder to your computer via USB and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from the camcorder to your computer.

DO NOT convert the video. This often makes it less rather than more compatible with Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Jaz8

Jaz8

Please clarify a point.

It is my understanding that you have opted to convert these .mod files because they are not importing into Premiere Elements 10. Is that correct? If not, have you tried to import the .mod file with the appropriate NTSC or PAL DV Standard project preset?

This is an important point since SG is advising you not to convert that video to another format.

Did you convert because you thought that you had to and never tried the .mod as is import?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Jaz8

jaz8

The settings that SG suggested would be in the new project dialog. If you are set up for NTSC, then look for

NTSC

Hard Drive Flash Memory Camcorders

Standard 48 kHz

I differ from SG in that I prefer to use NTSC DV Standard and then in the project use the Field Option Reverse Field Dominance on specific footage as needed.

Now, here is another matter we need to focus on immediately. There as been a wave of display problems related to Premiere Elements 10 users with NVIDIA video cards. In these cases, the answer has not been to "update" the driver, but rather to roll it back. Please take a look at this summary thread that I posted today and see if any of that applied to you. What is the name of your video card?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5770383#5770383

We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points