Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS-6 ODD SAVE BEHAVIOUR???

Oct 18, 2013 9:41 AM

Ref: CS-6/ Win-7-64/ Intel i7/ 16GB RAM/ 100GB Scratch:

Occasionally, when saving image files in PS CS-6 (Typically, 16 bit, TIFs with Layers), Bridge depicts an odd Thumbnail with a "page" icon, rather than the image.

If I try to open it, I get a "message" that Photoshop does not recognize the file type.

I can still retrieve the image from the "Open Recent" in Photoshop; but often after deleting the file in Bridge, & attempting to save again, results in the same behavior.

Regards,

Leigh

Bridge-Icon.gif

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 18, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

Seems more a cache related problem to me. Could you select a problem file with right click menu and from the list choose 'purge cache for selection' and see if this brings your image back.

If so go to the menu tools / cache / purge cache for folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 19, 2013 2:05 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

And what happens if you use save as PSD instead of Tiff?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

If you save a file anything after the dot is considered an extenstion.  So if your file is   beach.16.tiff it will look for an extension of .16 to open file with.  So look closely at the file name of problem files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

No limit that I know of.  But there are prohibited characters, like the dot, slash, and a few others.  Best to look at the file name with extension showing.  As if the file is saved as dog.tiff.tiff, that is also a problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 21, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

Generally, I don't add the file format to the Title

Like Curt already pointed at, this is likely to be your problem. Especially when sharing files or use different applications it best has a filename with only 1 dot in it, and after this dot the extension for this file.

Don't know how it acts on windows but if you use the save as command on a Mac the filename without the extension is pre-selected. If you want to add something to the existing filename just press the right arrow key and this brings your cursor at the end of the filename but before the extension, it is very easy to add a divider with a number or a character like -01 or -a.

While the 8 character DOS filename is long gone now I don't like very long filenames because they are hard to read in total in most situations.

Personal I go for the shot date, short subject description and sequence number (yyyymmdd-subject_001.psd) Use file info description and keywords for more relevant info, most applications can search for this IPTC metadata.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points