Skip navigation
Jerry8888
Currently Being Moderated

Finding Password Protected Documents

Oct 18, 2013 12:42 PM

I have many, many pdfs; some password protected and some not. Is there any way I can search for just the password protected documents? Jerry.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Jerry8888

Are they protected from opening or from editing? If from opening, I don't think you can do it since you won't be able to open them at all...

If from editing, it might be possible to do it with an Action. Either way, it's possible to do it with an external application.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to Jerry8888

You can use Preflight in Acrobat Pro to check for encryption.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 1:35 AM   in reply to Jerry8888
    • Open Preflight from the Print Production panel
    • Options menu > Create a new Preflight Profile
    • Name it and click on the 'document' item on the tree
    • Set 'The PDF document is encrypted' to an error state
    • Save the profile

You can run the profile against a folder of files either using an Action, or by exporting a 'droplet' from the Preflight options menu. It'll report the files which 'fail' - i.e. that have encryption - and you can choose to move them someplace, etc. as you wish.

This will also catch files with other forms of protection (certificates, LCDRM, etc.) - anything that Preflight can't open will trigger a fail - so if you need to find only password-protected files it gets more complicated. You also can't run the profile against PDF Portfolios.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to Jerry8888

What version of Acrobat do you have? It may be it was not an option in your version. Preflight is one of those areas that seems to have a lot of additions with each new version, at least for the scripts that are already available.

I just went through the process in AA9 and it is kind of confusing. Once you have created the new profile (but still in the edit window), expand the list in the left window:

profiles.jpg

That may be where you can't find Document. Note that the "PDF document is encrypted" is now in the right window. Hope that helps. It might be a bit different in newer versions of Acrobat, but the same concept should apply.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to Jerry8888

You can run a profile on multiple documents by creating a Preflight Droplet.

Adobe Acrobat X Pro * About droplets and actions

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve is probably giving the correct advice. I was just trying to help in finding what you needed (and learn a bit in the process!). I think there is a create droplet option also. I really don't know how to use it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points