Skip navigation
JPW1415
Currently Being Moderated

Printer

Oct 18, 2013 1:08 PM

What is the best lazer printer to print high quality catalogs that can fit 11" x 17" glossy paper, can duplex and print to the edge for borderless printing.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to JPW1415

I'm not sure such a printer exists. Lasers don't tend to print borderless.

That said, what's your budget? My Xerox Phaser 7800 has gorgeous output, prints fast, duplexes, has an optional finisher and can print on 12 x 18 soo you can do full-bleed tabloid the traditional way, by printing on an oversize sheet and trimming. It also cost more than $5000.00.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to JPW1415

I'll confirm Peter's response!

There are very few printers that provide the class of features you are looking for, especially support for full B size papers. And printing on heavy, glossy stock, especially when you want to print covers for the catalogs you are producing, is not the forté of most office-class devices!

When you are looking at high quality and “edge-to-edge” printing, you really are in the realm of high priced digital presses. And typically, in order to properly get coverage to the paper edge, you should print on larger paper stock, in this case 12"x18" and trim. We call that “bleed.”

Unless you are planning on quite a bit of such printing, you are probably best off sending such print jobs out to a print service provider that has such a digital press.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to JPW1415

I bought a Dahle ream cutter that can trim 17" widths. It's still manual, and can handle about half an inch of thickness at one time. It's a lot sturdier than the competition, and a bit more money, but worth it. They have several modles to choose from.

I also bought a used folder on eBay a few years ago, it's friction feed and needs rollers, but I only use it about once a year and with 28# paper at low speeds it works OK. There are lots of brands to choose from, and you should read reiews or ask your printer what they would buy. Good ones are not cheap, and it may really be less expensive to job out the folding to socmeone with a high capacity floor-model folder.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points