Skip navigation
F0RMLESSNESS
Currently Being Moderated

IDML text flow issue

Oct 18, 2013 12:47 PM

Tags: #indesign #idml

I'm using CC and my client is on CS5, they've been experiencing an issue with the IDML files that I and my collegue (CS6) provide. Most of the text is placed the exact same as my INDD, but every once in a while there is text that is in the wrong place, pushed to the next page by a word or sometimes as much as a paragraph.

Everything else, all objects, links, text, styles... everything else is fine. It's just a weird text overflow thing happening on seemingly random pages.

I've tried everything I can think of. It's not a font conflict. It's not a preferences conflict. It's not a basleine conflict.

Anybody got any ideas as to what could be going on, I would greatly appreciate it!

and yes, I've told them they should upgrade, only I spelled it, Upgrayedd, the extra D, of course, for a double dose of pimping.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to F0RMLESSNESS

Normal and expected behavior. The text engine changes from one version

to the next.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to F0RMLESSNESS

Send a PDF as well for checking reflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to F0RMLESSNESS

Seeing how the common denominator available to yourself and a client that doesn't wish to go with CC would be CS6, consider encouraging them to upgrade to CS6, then you only need to install CS6 and y'all could be both working on the same version. Of course, if you have CS5, install it (if it isn't installed anymore) and use it for their work.

Working with someone and everyone is using the same version is the only reliable means.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to F0RMLESSNESS

Here's something you might not know...

Uh, I don't think so. It is true files will be associated with CC once installed. That is normal, expected behavior.

But if you keep the CS5 files in their own folder--not hard if you use folders per customer, sub-folders for their jobs--and your customer is using CS5, then first open CS5, then open the file that was created in CS5 from the File | Open command (or its recent file list).

I have more than one version installed. That's how it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to F0RMLESSNESS

F0RMLESSNESS wrote:

Here's something you might not know. Even if you use CS5 to make the indd file, as long as you have CC on your computer, all the files will be CC files. I know this because I have CS5 on my computer.

On Windows the OS allows the use of a .dll file that shows the corrrect version (if it isn't newer than the latest iinstalled), but the file association will still want to open all files in the last version installed. Mac users only get the most recent icon.

As Mike said, the icons and associations you see don't mean the file has changed. The only way tht can happen is if you open in the newer version (typically by double-clicking) and then save. You should notice that you are asked to do a Save As and the filename in the title bar has (Converted) appended. For about $20 you can get the Soxy plugin at Rorohiko.com that will read the file version and open it in the right one automatically (if it's installed) when you double-click.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to F0RMLESSNESS

• Best practices

We habitually thread pretty much every frame in any given document, so an overflow in a tight frame at the beginning of the doc results in reflow throughout. So allowing enough space in every frame for a particularly tight line to force a word down to the next line without reflowing the whole doc is a good idea. Likewise, frame breaks at the end of every frame, plus leaving enough room for a line or three of vertical expansion, is a good idea.

• An easy way to check what text is misplaced?

Send a PDF, as Peter suggests. Place that PDF on the bottom layer of your layout. That way, even tiny bits of reflow that only cause a bit of re-rag are painfully obvious.

• Magical spells

Develop relationships with Congolese sorcerers, Korean shamans, and the like. If design is your area of expertise, don't try to cross-train in magic. You know the saying, "If you think a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur." Unless you're already some kind of magico-religious practicioner, you are best off jobbing out your spellcasting to trained professionals.

The More You Know

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points