Skip navigation
chrish221939
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with thumbnails in the Organizer

Oct 18, 2013 3:38 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10

Hi

I am trying to follow the lesson in 'classroom in a book' (PE10)  but allthe MP4 clips load into the organiser as a black thumbnail -sometimes with an 'eggtimer' as it tries to open further. The same clips open OK in Media view and on the Storyboard view as do clips from my own cameras.

Wondered if anybody else had experienced this. it just makes it difficult to follow some of the lessons.

Thanks

Chris H

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

Is the problem only in Elements Organizer 10? And, is the problem only with the clips that you are using? Are these sample clips from the book? Are you getting a display for this video when it is imported into Premiere Elements 10 via Premiere Elements 10's Get Media/Files and Folders?

There is an epidemic of display problems for Premiere Elements 10 users with NVIDIA video cards. So, what you have and the answers to the above questions should help us to define your issue.

The answer to these recently reported NVIDIA video card driver problems is not to make sure the driver is up to date, but rather to roll it back.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5770383#5770383

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Install the software that came with the camera. That sometimes install a codec that PRE can use.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris

After all my questions....

I forgot to ask you the classical question...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10?

And, if you go into the Premiere Elements 10 workspace, Share/Computer/QuickTime, do you see presets for the QuickTime choice there?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

Thanks for the follow up.

I recall another case like yours that centered around those .mp4 in an Adobe Classroom in Book. As I recall, it ended with the user and Adobe getting no where. He too had no problems with his own files, just those .mp4 Classroom in a Book ones. I will see if I can find that thread to see which version was involved. The work was done at a forum that I no longer frequent. It had to be within the last two years.

Many of these situations  are left with the whys. I do not have the Classroom in A Book otherwise I would study this problem for you in greater depth. If you post a properties readout for one of these Elements Organizer problem files, I will see if I can pick up on anything in the properties that would factor into this issue.

At this time, it sounds best for you to move on with your projects. I will try to find the thread that I mentioned. I suspect this is a well known issue to the publisher/authors of the book. Have you tried to contact Adobe Press about the matter?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

I found the thread that I was trying to recall. It sure sounds like a deja vu. Premiere Elements 10 and those .mp4 files that come with the Classroom in a Book Premiere Elements 10.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69080

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

Thanks for the follow up.

Out of curiosity, what version of QuickTime do you have installed on the Sony Vaio along with this same

purchased serial number for Premiere Elements 10?

I will continue to watch for an answer to this.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I remember now -  Adobe admitted there were faults with those files and they posted replacements on the Internet, but I cannot immediately find the link.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh

I never recall us getting a definite answer on this (including replacement of defective files) from Adobe nor Adobe Press as reflected in the link that I posted.

And this one would be interesting to find an answer for in view of the fact that the problem was encountered by more than one user of the Premiere Elements 10 Classroom in Book, and one user says the problem exists on one of his computers but not the other.

If you can find the replacement files that you recall, that would be a big help since the replacements might come with an explanation for the happening.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I reported it during the PRE11 Pre-release programme as the problem still then existed.

But once a pre-release programme is complete access to all materials is removed so I can't check on the exact response.

I think that Peachpit, who produce the CiB books, have the updated files online.

I did also find a workaround that worked for me - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4274754.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to nealeh

Yes - I was right. You can download updated files from Peachpit at:

http://www.peachpit.com/store/adobe-premiere-elements-10-classroom-in- a-book-9780321811011.

Click the Updates tab at the bottom and there is a link to download the replacement files.

Or use this direct link:

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/peachpit/peachpit/err ata/0321811011/0321811011_ch01_errata.zip

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to nealeh

nealeh

That is great.

I am downloading the correct files. I do not have Premiere Elements 10 Classroom in a Book but maybe I can get my hands on one of the "befores" to see what caused the problem....not so much to point blame but to understand better the workings of the Elements Organizer.

The knowing the reason for the problem would be very interesting from a video troubleshooting point of view.

Thanks for your recollection and your posting.

We will be watching for Chris H's reply.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

Your follow up was very helpful nonetheless and helps to define the issue even further.

Hope all is going well otherwise. Your update was much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

First go to the View Menu and check for any possible incidences of Hidden Files.

Then, have you tried File Menu/Reconnect/All Missing Files?

If worse came to worse, we could try creating a new catalog via Elements Organizer 10, File Menu/Catalog/Catalog Manager. How much do you have invested in the present Catalog at this time?

At the top right of Elements Organizer 10 workspace, there is a Display button. Have you changed to any new display option there?

Please consider the above and let us see if any of it worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to chrish221939

Chris H

Thanks for the update.

It was very good news..."things now seem to work properly again". Good job.

As for

Problem is I am not too sure how I got to that point.....

That is normal after some heavy duty troubleshooting. The whys will fall into place as you move forward in your project. You will gain new insights into the workflow.

Continued success. And, please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions on your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points