Skip navigation
bladderclapper
Currently Being Moderated

Applying effects to a specific frequency throughout an audio file in Adobe Audition CC

Oct 18, 2013 2:08 PM

I would like to be able to isolate specific frequencies/sounds like a specific voice with background noise surrounding it.  I want to segregate that one sound and locate all frequencies/sounds like that so I can apply clean-up effects to it like increase amplitute, etc.?  Can this be done?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to bladderclapper

Well, I have good news and bad news.

You don't mention what version of Audition you're using but, if you're on the most recent (Audition CC) there's a very effective frequency band splitter (Edit/Frequency Band Splitter) which lets you split any clip into up to 8 adjustable frequency bands that can be worked on separatedly.

Now, the bad news.  Taking your example of a voice, real world sound doesn't give you a nice, specific frequency that you can work on.  A normal human voice is going to span from well under 200 Hz up to 8 or 10 kHz--there'll be a "fundamental frequency" (or range) that contains most of the information but the voice won't sound natural without the whole range--think "telephone" or even "AM radio".

Even worse, you're going to find that most noise is also pretty broad band, barring very specific things like 50/60 cycle hum from earthing problems or whatever.

By all means have a play but it may not work the way you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:16 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

You may be able to make marquee selections in waveform view to the range you wish to affect, then apply effects to just his selection.  Lasso tool may work for more control.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to _durin_

Of course, I mean spectral frequency view in waveform mode. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points