Skip navigation
adobeman
Currently Being Moderated

Two versions of Camera Raw on same computer?

Oct 18, 2013 11:14 PM

Hello,

I have CS5 and Camera Raw 6.7

I have Lightroom 3.6 and I want to upgrade to Lightroom 5.

I cannot move to CS6 nor CC

I will be buying a new camera, with RAW files are not supported in Camera Raw 6.7

If I install camera raw 8 with Lightroom 5, will I be able to:

- use Camera Raw 8 with CS5

- if not, will I be able to have both versions of Camera raw, 6.7 and 8, on my computer and use 6.7 with CS5 and v8 with Lightroom?

or would it be simpler to just convert the RAW files to DNG and use in both Lightroom 5 and CS5?

thanks for any advise.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to adobeman

ACR 8.x won't install unless you have CS6 or CC. ACR 6.7 remains the final word as long as you have CS5.

But Lightroom 5 will work just fine alongside CS5. Lightroom is completely standalone and doesn't rely on an external ACR.

You can send a file from Lightroom 5 to Photoshop CS5 for further editing and the final result will be the same, it'll just be rendered by Lr and not ACR. Full workflow compatibility between the two, however, requires that the versions are in step (then the two communicate and pass settings between them, obviously not possible when those settings aren't the same).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to twenty_one

Whoa. My brain cells just started talking to each other.

I know you said you cannot go to CC, but reconsider. You're a prime candidate for the Photography bundle (Photoshop CC / Lightroom 5). If Photoshop CS5 is standalone and not part of a suite, you get it for only $10 a month or equivalent, introduction offer but permanent price. It's a no-brainer if you ask me. Otherwise it's 20, still a good deal.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points