Skip navigation
cordon bleu
Currently Being Moderated

JPEG in ACR?

Oct 19, 2013 12:00 PM

Tags: #bridge

I have found that making an adjustment of a JPEG in ACR, (I have some presets), if I hit Done it up dates in bridge but when taken into another program such as indesign it reverts to the original. Should I hit save and over write the file. We shoot raw and convert but I find ACR does a better job on a few things. Even cropping shows in bridge but does no stay in another application unless I selct save not done? any words of wisdom?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to cordon bleu

Not familiar with Indesign, but if you edit jpeg in ACR you can create an XMP file (hidden but can select in View).  Make sure the XMP file travels with jpeg or you will loose edits.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 19, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to cordon bleu

if I hit Done it up dates in bridge but when taken into another program such as indesign it reverts to the original.

That is expected behavior and as designed. If you make a correction in ACR and hit done it only shows the thumb and preview of the new settings and showing an icon with sliders top right of the thumbnail to indicate you have applied settings that Bridge can view. This file opens in PS with these settings showing (likely also through ACR depending on your Camera Raw prefs) but inhere also needs a save in PS before the changes are visible in other applications.

If you have CC the save dialog of ACR is hugely improved with lot's of options and saving presets of these options so if you choose a dedicated folder to save in there is even no need for overwriting the original. If you point mini Bridge in InDesign to this folder you can drag and drop all the files without switching between applications

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 19, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to cordon bleu

I understand, thank you, however lets say I take in 80 jpegs to ACR apply a

preset, what is the best way to save the adjustment permanently?  This

would be very time consuming with that many flies to open individually in

PS.

It does not need to be time consuming unless you want to apply many different presets but even then, you don't need to open in PS, just use ACR to do the work for you.

Suppose you have all jpegs in one folder. You can select a bunch of files (even all 80 of them if your computer has enough resources) in the content window of Bridge and choose open in Camera Raw using Bridge CC. They open in filmstrip mode in ACR. Select the files you want to apply the preset to and choose the preset then use the save button bottom left. Fill in the wanted values and choose a folder and hit OK, the files are saved as a new file with the settings applied to and will appear as such in other applications.

Let the files save and when ready quit Bridge CC.

I am using CC, opening a jpeg that I have adjusted defaults to ACR.

Unfortunately I am using Indesign CS6 and it does not work with bridge CC.

So I have to open my old Bridge CS6 to use that feature.

Then open Bridge CS6 and point it to the folder you just saved the altered jpegs for ID in. Open ID and in Mini Bridge choose the folder (I would prefer first to create a collection of the files and point MB to that collection because they are easier to find and navigate to in MB but that is up to you)

Now you have all the files ready for process, if you have to apply just one preset for all the files it should not take longer then 5 to 10 minutes which in my view is not very time consuming for 80 files

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 19, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to cordon bleu

BTW

Nice work on your website

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Cordon, for your own saftey in spam best not to include personal info.  I have responded to Omke's post so you can go in an edit your last post.  Once commented on info can only be deleted by forum monitors.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to cordon bleu

I did this for you.  Should be changed soon.

Just a FYI.  Marking a post Helpful or Correct is meant to guide others that visit the thread in hopes of an answer for their problem.  THis gives points to the person that wrote the reply, although marking your own posts does not give you points. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 20, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to cordon bleu

my issue is not entire solved, the only thing I can think of is to go back and do it all in Raw then covert to JPEG.

Then I don't seem to understand your issue, can you clarify more?

You can alter jpeg in ACR (also tiff) besides the usual Raw formats that are supported in your version of ACR.

If you have a saved preset in ACR (which I presumed) there should be no problem in doing so as described in my earlier post. If you alter Raw files with a preset you can indeed save them as jpeg (or tiff or PSD) using the options in the save dialog.

If you have a preset in PS itself you can play it as an action in batch using Bridge. Select the files in Bridge, go to menu tools / PS/ Batch and choose the action including the save options or record a dedicated action in PS for one file, then apply the batch in Bridge.

There are lot's of option to batch process files in Bridge and PS, either with or without ACR. Different presets can be saved in ACR and with one click the selected files are applied with those settings, etc etc.

There really is no need in open all one by one in PS

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to cordon bleu

When you edit JPG or TIF files using the RAW converter and hit the Done button it saves the slider settings in the JPG or TIF file, but does not modify the image.  If you open the image again in the RAW converter it will open with the slider settings you saved, but if you open it with another application you will see the unmodified image.  If you want all applications to see the modified image you need to open it with the RAW converter and save it as a JPG or TIF file.  If you also want to keep the unmodified image you need to save the JPG or TIF image with another file name or in another location. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 20, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to cordon bleu

Pardon me but I believe you have gotten the answer multiple times…

You can use the save command that you can tweak as you like (at least in Bridge CC a lot more options and presets) and have the files saved either in a different location or overwrite the originals (not the best idea IMHO).

The saved files are ready for use in ID because they have the settings showing you have changed.

While saving a file to a new location the originals still show the settings but this can be undone by clearing the settings.

Cache from different versions of CS and CC is not compatible due to different cache folders and different cache structure, ACR setting are often not not backwards compatible due to new options or process versions that are not present in older versions.

However processing files in a Bridge CC and pointing an older version of Bridge to the newly saved files needs a small time (especially jpeg) and you can use them as you want with ID CS6.

While you can have multiple CS versions of PS and ID open at the same time, there can only be one version of Bridge open.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 20, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to cordon bleu

"pointing to an older version of Bridge to the newly saved files needs a small time (especially jpeg)"  it takes time?

If you switch to an older Bridge version (which you would need to match ID CS6) you have to point Bridge to the folder with the new files but these files must be first cached properly in order to view them correctly or let them appear clear in Mini Bridge.

This takes a bit of time but for 80 jpeg files of normal size not longer then 30 to 60 seconds, that was the time I revered to

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points