Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lens Profile for Old Nikkor Lens

Oct 20, 2013 8:07 AM

Tags: #lens_profile #lr5

I have some older Nikkor lens that I originally used with my Nikon 8008 SLR and am now using with my Nikon D7000. These lens are now over 20yrs old (yikes!) and LR doesn't have lens profiles for these (e.g., Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 - http://www.tangentphoto.com/reviews/lenses/nikon28mmlensreview.html). I imagine that the included profile for the Nikkor 28mm f/2.8*D* would provide the correct match for my old lens but one thing I don't get is the ability for LR to automatically apply this profile (as the EXIF data doesn't match exactly). I imagine that I have a couple options here: 1) create my own profile for this lens, 2) create a develop preset that specifically matches this lens, or 3) stick with the manual selection (for the f/2.8*D* profile, which is what I do now).

Any other ideas?

BTW, I have checked the lens profile downloader and see the following matches for this lens:

lens-profiler.png

However, I'm not certain whether this is what I want (is the camera body reference here relevant - e.g., the Dx00 full frame sensor vs. my D7000, smaller, sensor?)?

Message was edited by: ColdForest (update with lens profile downloader information)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 20, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to ColdForest

I read at the link you provided that the number of lens elements changed from the original and the N versions to the D version, so I’d guess the lens corrections for geometric distortion and vignetting would not be the same.  Taking a picture of a regular pattern like a brick wall from a few different distances as well as taking some pictures of a relatively evenly lit plain wall might help confirm this. 

Adobe’s lens-profile-downloader shows a couple Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 lenses but since there are three revisions and the profiles’ descriptions don’t specify any revision, they may not be for your lens, either.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points