Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

In Design cs3 serial # problems

Oct 20, 2013 8:01 AM

I have put in HOURS trying to get my CS3 indesign program back on my computer.  I had to have my computer reformatted due to a virus that could not be removed.  I saved the files previously to a hard drive. Now im trying to reinstall cs3 and it states I have a unvalid serial #.  I bought the program and the # is registered but sitll I am stuck at the sign in screen.  Adobe online and phone calls are worthless to answer the question "how do I get past the serial# screen"

Help Please.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 20, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to INDESIGN

Please understand that these forums are not Adobe Technical Support or Adobe Customer Support!

Based upon your description, it sounds like you are simply trying to copy the “saved files” (presumably the CS3 executables) from your old system to your new disk. That normally does not work unless you are restoring an entire disk image. The Creative Suite actually installs software and configuration files in a number of very specific locations. You need to fully install the software from the original media after first deleting all the files you copied over. Then, apply the serial number provided to you when you first licensed the software.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to INDESIGN

The serial number came with the software. If you purchased the software in a box, the serial # was typically on a label on the DVD case or on a separate card within that package. If your purchase was by download, the serial # was provided to you at that time.

If you registered the software with Adobe, you can call Adobe Customer Support and they should be able to provide you with the serial number. The serial number might also be available to you if you logon to Adobe's website with your Adobe ID and query for your registered software.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to INDESIGN

I'm not sure Dov has it entirely right, but I suspect you may be using a different installer -- perhaps a downloaded version instead of disks -- and you might be trying to use either the wrong installer (upgrade vs. full or standalone vs suite, or even the wrong suite package) to match the serial number you have.

If you registered your products when you first installed them, the product information and your serila number will be stored in your account online under My Adobe at Adobe.com and you can verify versions and serial number there. You need to log in with the same email you used when you registered, and the My Adobe link is now practially invisible to the left of your name after you log in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I see you and Dov were posting more while I was typing...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to INDESIGN

It doesn't matter if the address is defunct. ou're only using it as an ID to log in. No mail is going to go to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to INDESIGN

Did you download the installer for the correct product? For CS3 there would have been a choice of InDesign as a standalone, as part of the Design Standard Suite, or as part of the Design Premium suite. It also matters if this was an upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to INDESIGN

What happened to the original disks?

Perhaps someon seeingthis has an upgrade disk they can copy for you, too. Which OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to INDESIGN

You don't ned to load Pagemaker, but you do need the upgrade installer that will ask for the Pagemaker serial number (is it asking for your InDesing serial number, or is it asking for a serial number from a previous qualifying product?) or the Pagemaker installation disk. Once that's verified, the serial number you have should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to INDESIGN

It sounds like you downloaded the regular installer. The serial number you have, it I understand what you've said, is for an upgrade and will not work with that installer.

You can try contacting customer support and see if they can verify that you have license, then issue a serial number that will work with the installer you have.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to INDESIGN

If you don't hear something as promised, let us know and we can try a back-door contact route.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points