Skip navigation
WoodHead
Currently Being Moderated

I'm unable to upload photos from Nikon DS3200 to Bridge CS5 (Use RAW-Module 6.7.0.339)

Oct 20, 2013 11:05 PM

Tags: #problem #adobe #raw #bridge #photoshop_cs5

Hi Folks,

as I wrote upthere I'm unable to upload photos from Nikon DS3200 to Bridge CS5 / PS5ext  (with RAW-Module 6.7.0.339).

How I may update the RAW-Module?

THX for answers

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 21, 2013 12:01 AM   in reply to WoodHead

How I may update the RAW-Module?

By also upgrading to CS6, your camera needs at least ACR 7.1 and that is present in CS6.

You can also use Lightroom 4.1 or use the Free Adobe DNG converter to convert your NEF from D3200 to the open Adobe DNG format that will be able to process in your ACR version.

Search the Adobe site for the Mac or Windows version of DNG converter

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to WoodHead

The last version of CR supported by CS5 is 6.7.1, downloadable from here: Mac | Windows

You cannot install 7+ on CS5.

However, it's not clear if the D3200 is supported by 6.7. It IS supported in CR 7.1, which appears to be matched to 6.7 with many other cameras, as they were released at the same time.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 21, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to WoodHead

No, you are misunderstanding the problem.

Each vendor has its own Raw format and they also 'improve' this format for each new model, meaning there is a new code needed to demosaic the Raw files and translate them in a visible image.

Therefore each new camera needs its own Raw decoding application. The vendors deliver this new software with the new camera but as many already know, the vendors are good in producing cameras but not so good in making software.

Adobe is one of the software companies that delivers the Raw decoding software with their applications.

If you buy a version of PS or Lightroom they deliver Adobe Camera Raw as a plug in with it. As service they update this plug in usually 3 or 4 times a year for free to match the Raw format of new developed cameras.

However when there is a new version of PS they continue doing so with the new version and not the older versions. You may or may not agree with this policy but everyone has to make a living so it does make sense to me (being a professional and having a small business my self).

So here are your options again:

Instead of upgrading convert your files to DNG, this is the open Raw format Adobe developed and this is for free to download, also not much work, you can batch process, and keep working with your raw files from the new dSLR in older software.

Upgrade to CS6 (in fact CC, they also offer a special photo license for PS, LR and Bridge in the cloud) and be able to use all new features (including the 2012 process version of ACR)

Or buy Lightroom version 4 and update this because you need at least version 4.1 to have the Raw converter for your dSLR available.

It is a very old discussion and we had it already in 2002 or so but in those days the vendors did not provide Adobe pre production models and usually you had to wait up to 3 months before being able to use the Raw files in ACR. Much has approved since and sometimes ACR already offers the camera type before it even is in the stores.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to WoodHead

Just to be clear if you use DNG for your new camera, it does not mean you have to convert all the old images to DNG.  Nor do you have to convert to DNG with cameras supported by ACR 6.7.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points