Skip navigation
descente
Currently Being Moderated

convert illustrator to inDesign

Oct 21, 2013 10:11 AM

Hi guys,

I have a trifold piece which is created in illustrator. There're two sides of this trifold. Inside and outside, each in a separated illustrator doc. It has vector logos, place photoshop EPS images, vector shapes and text. My printer said he needs an inDesign file. Since I'm mainly a web designer who never actually used inDesign before. Is there anyway I can convert Illustrator into InDesign? I can convert all text into outline if that makes things easier. Ideally, I'd like to preserve all alignment and layout of the page.

Is it possible?

Thanks.

Shaun

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to descente

Shaun, save a copy as a PDF of each document, combine them in Acrobat or give the printer two separate PDFs, naming them as appropriate (Inside, Outside, that sort of thing). There is no need to move the design into InDesign.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to descente

Most printers would not be asking you for an InDesign file, seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere. Did they not upgrade their illustrator liscence?

Anyhow. Place your ilustrator document into InDesign. As long as PDF compatibility is on, you can palce the .ai file.

By default PDF compatiblity is on for Illustrataor files, unless someone did a save as and turned pdf compatibility off during the 2nd final window that comes up.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 11:12 PM   in reply to descente

If your printer "needs" an ID file, find another one. Any printshop should be able to handle a PDF-X/3 file complemented with some instructions and you can perfectly produce those from AI.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 5:41 AM   in reply to descente

Although it is true, you can deliver a PDF, there is a way to get a PDF natively into InDeisgn. Here is a a how-to video on a product I represent called PDF2DTP for InDeisgn. In this case, it can also be used to convert an Illustrator artwork file into a brand-new InDeisgn layout, with active fonts, vector obects and everything converted over:

Maybe that will assist.

David Dilling

Markzware

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points