Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to make a .tga file with transparent background?

Oct 21, 2013 11:47 AM

I've started a drawing in an empty file with one layer (I have deleted the initial Background layer, then created a New Layer which contains the drawing).

How do I save this as tga but with transparent background? ie. so that if I put the saved .tga file over another image, only the drawing shows, without the background around it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to Adrtghhjj

Is there some reason you need to use tga files and not png or some other formate that supports transparency?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to csuebele

I believe it was historically used by games programers, but I thought it would have been replaced by GIF or PNG nowadays.  Not my thing though, so I am probably miles off.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

That's what I was thinking, Trevor.  In all the years I've been using PS, I've never run across anyone who was using tga files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to csuebele

Many game engines still use TGA, and for some reason it still gets used in some 3D apps and video production apps.

Sadly, nobody can agree on what the fourth channel in TGA should represent: transparency, or arbitrary alpha/mattes.

At this time, the Photoshop TGA plugin still uses the first alpha channel (not transparency) for the fourth channel in TGA files. We tried to change that to transparency at one time, and got too many customer complaints and had to change it back.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 12:24 AM   in reply to Adrtghhjj

This would be possible if you set the blend mode for the layer with the label on it to Multiply. Anything that is white would essentialy become transparent.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points