Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Placing and then splitting a Word doc

Oct 21, 2013 12:17 PM

I have a long (for me) and pretty messy Word Doc that I need to bring into InDesign and turn into a 32 page report. It is a continuous doc with 7 sections.

When I bring into InDesign (place and shift+click) it creates a continouos multipage InDesign file that flows from beginning to end in a chain of text boxes.

Not sure how this is going to end up or where the page breaks are going to be, especially when I start reformatting and resizing the text and inserting images.

What I would like to do after import is to split the 7 sections at section end (so that section 1 is a chain of text frames, section 2 is a chain of text frames etc etc.). That way if I make changes in the first section it isn’t going to have a knock on all the way through the doc to the end.

If I use the Breakframe Applescript that is bundled in the script palette it seems to break the links between every text box. I suppose i could then laboriously go through an relink the boxes in Section 1, Section 2 ext but this seems quite painful.

Is there a way to achieve this? If not what would be good practice to bring the Word Doc in in defined chunks?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to RollDotHome

You can apply a paragraph style with keep option: On Next Page to each section title, and that will keep every section start on a it's own page even if you make any change.

Another option you can create book document:

InDesign / Creating book files

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f86173837 51001ea8cb3f-6ccaa.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to RollDotHome

There's actually a script that will do what you want. See http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& extid=1302518

I haven't tried it in CC, so it may need to be put into a "Version 7.0" (without quotes) subfolder of the scripts folder if it throws an error.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to RollDotHome

It's pretty easy to do manually as well for a short number of sections.

Put your cursor after the last character you want to keep in your new isolated story and select from there to the end (Cmd/Shift/End I would expect -- I'm on Windows), then cut that text to the clipboard. Click the outport of the last frame you want in the story, then click inside the frame to break the link to the rest of the thread.

In the first blank frame that used to be threaded to the first story, paste the text from the clipboard. Repeat.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Add to script mention by Peter's, there's also script come with indesign "BreakFrame" select the frame where to break or split and run the script.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

Break frame just removes a single frame from the curent thread, not quite what the OP is looking for.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points