Skip navigation
Chuck M
Currently Being Moderated

Files moved from InDesign CS6 to CC make bad PDFs

Oct 21, 2013 2:29 PM

I have 3 files that "make" about 75 shipping labels for a major client of mine. After making hundreds of good PDFs from CS6, the project finished for the time being. Took that occasion to switch over to InDy CC. Then 12 labels were revised. I made the revisions, and made PDFs for proofing. I noticed on my Mac that some font substitution had occurred. The client saw additional font problems on his Mac. He saw erratic spacing and size changes.

1.     The files use Myriad Pro Semicondensed: Semibold and Bold. I bought that family several years ago. I was wondering if the font could have been revised lately, and if CC requires the new version.

2.     The whole Myriad Pro family is permanently activated on my system. It's been that way for years -- but lately there have been 2 occasions when the font list (in Illustrator and Photoshop) did not show the whole family active and I had to use Suitcase Fusion 4 to reactivate them. In InDesign (either CS6 or CC) would the font making process give an alert if the specified font was unavailable?.

I've worked around the problem by exporting the files from CC in CS4+ format, opening them in CS6, and then hunting and fixing the glitches that came from the back migration. But am hoping to move happily to InDesign CC.

TIA...   Chuck M

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to Chuck M

Have you tried FontNuke or FontFinagler just to rule out a Mac font plist problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to Chuck M

As a general rule I discourage direct conversion of legacy .indd files in versions newer than CS4. The increasing complexity of the program seems to engender more and more reports of problems with legacy conversions, ranging from minor issues to fatal errors after hours or days of editing. Exporting the originals from the original version to either .inx or .idml and converting that has a much better track record.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to Chuck M

.inx is the excange format for CS through CS3 and is also available in CS4. .idml is the newer format introduced at CS4 and is the only one going forward.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points