Skip navigation
M.adaM
Currently Being Moderated

Scanned PDF highlight

Oct 21, 2013 2:32 PM

Tags: #reader #ocr #highlight #scannned_files

I need help with scanned documents!

How can highlight parts and recognise (OCR) only the those I selected?

I have about 500 books scanned and I would need only the important parts.

I don't see any meaning to OCR all of the pages, since I need only 1% of the material.

Could I higliht some parts some kind of way (with a tablet for example) and afterwards make the OCR on that selected parts only and error correction in another more powerfull machine?

Or just keep those small parts in a separate file without OCR and editing?

THX

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to M.adaM

Well, you would need Adobe Acrobat at a minnimum if you want to deal with OCR since Reader doesn't have that ability.

As far as OCRing just the highlighted areas, I doubt it. There is no straight forward way to do that but I guess there could possibly be a script out in the wild but I haven't seen one. For starters you would need to figure out how to highlight text that isn't text.

If it's just ceratin pages you need OCR done on, you could extract those pages as separate files and OCR them.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to M.adaM

You can put in a feature request at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Be sure to mention Acrobat and not Reader (this is the Reader forum).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to M.adaM

Not only is it not possible to OCR just parts of a page (you can specify a specific page range, though), I doubt it will ever be implemented. It just doesn't make sense. Why would you want only some of the text on a page to be "selectable" and not the rest? I don't really see how it saves any time or resources. It's much more efficient to just OCR the entire file (or page), then to launch the OCR process each time a highlight is made...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points