Skip navigation
slimncr
Currently Being Moderated

Moving from FrameMaker v7.2 to v11; separately licensed; can I run both on one PC?

Oct 21, 2013 3:49 PM

Tags: #framemaker

I'm upgrading from Framemaker v7.2, after long interregnum, and have installation files for FrameMaker v11. They have separate licenses. Questions:

- What are the various installation files and folders? Or is there a doc, somewhere, that I can refer to for that info?

- Can I run both versions on one machine, and continue writing and publishing in 7.2 while learning v11?

Bill Rost

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to slimncr

Hi Bill, I'll let others chime in on the install directories, but you can safely run multiple versions of FrameMaker on your system.

IIRC, Fm 7.2 has an Acrobat Distiller ("headless") that can coexist with installations of Acrobat Standard and Pro. That is to say, you should have no conflicts there, but installing multiple versions of Acrobat and or Acrobat/Adobe Reader is a Particularly Bad Idea.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
    co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to slimncr

Acrobat Distiller, the part you need to produce PDF, is included with the v7 installers. They've since changed that model, so I'll not overly describe it here. Just make sure you don't try to put some old version of Acrobat Pro on your system, and you should be fine.

Yes, since you asked, my book is a great reference for "owning and operating" FrameMaker. 700 pages of detailed information about formatting, creating, editing content. I took over the book from Sarah O'Keefe, who had maintained it up through FrameMaker 8. That means this version is specifically good for those moving from Fm8 (or earlier) up to Fm11.

Information on structured authoring (DITA, S1000D, et. al.) and information on linking FrameMaker to online output are not part of this version, but I expect to author some material on these two topics for "the next" release of FrameMaker, announced by Adobe for release in 2014.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points