Skip navigation
samuherek
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Extension Manager CC frozen

Oct 22, 2013 3:40 AM

Tags: #photoshop #extension #extensions #extension_manager

Hi,

I have been having some serious problems with the Adobe Extension Manager.

I while ago, I updated from Photoshop CS6 to Adobe Creative Cloud and when I saw my Photshop extensions were not installed in Photshop CC, I launched the Extension Manager CC and was trying to install them to get the extensions in Photoshop.

What happened was, the Extension Manager froze somewhere in the middle of the isntallation and wasn't doing anything for more than 8 hours when I was installing the first extension. The Extension Manager wasn't reacting at all so I had to kill it, and ever since I open it up again the Extension Manager can't load and it gets stuck with the working-clock icon (see the attached image).

After I restart the computer I can open up the manager, however, when I try to install any extension again, it gets frozen again in the middle of the installation and I have to forse quit the app again. I uninstalled it and installed it again, but no change.

The Extension manager was running smoothly on CS 6 but I had no luck with the CC. What is intersting though is when I install extensions not through the Extension Manager as "Subtle Patterns" it's showing in Photoshop and there are no problems with it.

I'm running on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Hope to get some help because I would really need those exptensions. Thank you.

Regards,

Sam

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 12.28.07 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to samuherek

Please make sure you have write permission to "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC" and all its subfolders. And please delete "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/Configuration/DB/ExMan.db" if this file exists.

If it still doesn't work after you granted sufficient permission to yourself, please try to run EM as administrator.

1. Run "/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app".

2. Input the following command then press "Return" key. Don't miss the double quotation marks.

sudo "/Applications/Adobe Extension Manager CC/Adobe Extension Manager CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Extension Manager CC"

3. Input password of administrative user then press "Return" key.

If it works, you can try to run EM in normal way.

If it doesn't work, please generate log files and send it to exman.beijing@gmail.com.

1. In Terminal window, run the following commands in turn:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Extension\ Manager\ CC/

mkdir Log

cd Log

touch ExManCoreLibLog.YES

2. Open Finder, hold down "option" key, click menu "Go"->"Library" to go into hidden Library folder, then go to its subfolder "Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/Log", check whether file ExManCoreLibLog.YES exists.

3. Launch EM.

4. After EM hangs, force quit it, send the log file in the Log folder above to us.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

My OS is Windows 7... I have Adobe Design CS6, and Extension Manager frozen when I open it.  I was installing my first extension.How can I fix?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to Carl Sun

I tried this and it wouldn't work, here's the error log:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7394816/ExManCoreLibrary.log

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to diegozaks

Apparently you don't have write permission to ""/Library/Application Support/Adobe/InDesign/Version 9.0/en_US/Extensions". A dialog box should have popped up in this case to ask you input admin user name and password, I guess you have clicked "Cancel" button. You can: 1) Launch EM CC again and input admin user name and password when being required; or 2) Use sudo command to launch EM CC in "Terminal" window; or 3) Grant yourself write permission to the folder above mentioned then launch EM CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Hi Carl, I was never prompted for the password, it simply freezes. I ran this code in terminaL

sudo "/Applications/Adobe Extension Manager CC/Adobe Extension Manager CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Extension Manager CC"

And then input my password and the same thing happens, the program loads and freezes with the little clock icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to diegozaks

Are you sure your account has admin privilege? Or you can try option 3 to grant yourself write permission.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 2:42 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

I have done the suggested fix, but it completely freezes Extension Manager. Has Adobe been able to fix this via an update?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 3:12 AM   in reply to akrleski

Suggested fix is based on the log files. It doesn't always solve all problems. Please describe your OS version, EM version, installed products and the detailed problem, generate log files and send them to exman.beijing@gmail.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2014 2:04 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Having this same issue. Extension Manager CC only shows clock icon when starting and nothing else happens. Suggested fixes don't help – here's my log file: http://d.pr/f/mJmm/5AWPlABV

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 5:27 PM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

You only provided Flex log file. From it I know something is wrong when Extension Manager initializes core library, but can't know what happened. Please provide another more important log file: ExManCoreLibrary.log (in the same folder).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:54 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

I wish I could – but the only files in this folder are the following: http://d.pr/i/GjgI/OAWrFEkV (where ExManCoreLibLog.YES is a 0 byte file). I searched my Mac for a ExManCoreLibrary.log, but it didn't show any results.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:11 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

1. Run Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

2. Input the following command in Terminal window then press "return" key.

3. Input the password of super user then press "return" key.

4. Extension Manager will be launched and some information will be shown in the Terminal window and Console Window.

5. If Extension Manager is launched correctly, quit it then launch it as normal.

6. If not, paste the information shown here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:13 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Launches with the empty window and loading clock. This is what comes up: http://d.pr/n/bhHK/10fwJR8l

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:23 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

Could you save and share Console messages? There is a "File"->"Save a Copy As" menu item in Console.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:27 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Here's everything I have from Extension Manager since this problem occurred. Nothing else comes up in Console while trying to launch Extension Manager. http://d.pr/f/VZ1j/4C8MCIsp

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:41 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

There is no useful information in the file. It's better to reinstall Extension Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:50 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Reinstalling was the first thing I tried – didn't help. I just did it again, even with deleting all remaining preferences etc., no luck. Do you have any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:54 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

Have you updated it to the latest version? You can update it via Creative Cloud or http://www.adobe.com/exchange/em_updates/.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:58 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Running the latest version (I think) since I installed it from the Creative Cloud app. To make sure, I downloaded and installed the latest version from the website. Didn't fix it – and oddly, the app shows "Version: null" in the info panel, so I think the problem occurs early on when trying to launch the app, even before initializing anything? http://d.pr/i/CDRx/2bGP0S7N

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:16 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

When you bring up the "About" dialog, the version information has not been passed to the Flex part. Could you find ExManCoreLibrary.log or ExtensionManager.log now?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:19 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

None of these files exist. Actually, the folder HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/ as well as the same folder in my user account are completely empty. There's not a single file or folder in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:25 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

Are you sure you have sufficient permission to the two folders above?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:37 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

I was sure – as OS X told me I had both read & write permission to those folders. However, I booted to my Recovery disk, ran the Disk Utility and repaired permissions on the hard drive and it's working now. I should've done this earlier – sorry for taking up so much of your time and thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 3:42 AM   in reply to janikbaumgartner

Glad to hear that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers