Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I zoom into a video, running in the background?

Oct 22, 2013 8:41 AM

Hi Guys

Here is the situation.

I create a video in PE, using another video running in the background, and my characters and 3D content green screened in front of it.

Now I want to zoom in on my character in the forground.

I do the zoom in Poser and output the video with the green screen behind it and import it into PE,

Of course the background remains static in PE, so it doesn't look quite right because the background stays the same as the camera moves

I know how to enlarge and move the background video around, for the entire clip, but is there a way to do it gradually,

For example, can I have the video at normal framing at frame 600 and then have it move in on the image so that it enlarges gradually to the new cropping at frame 750.

Just a small amount of movement in the background will do compared to the forground content.

Then I'll match it up with the zooming camera done in Poser so that in the scene the camera will appear to move in on the whole thing not just my green screened content.

I hope I'm explaining this so it's clear.

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

In case I am missing what you need to do:

I know how to enlarge and move the background video around, for the entire clip, but is there a way to do it gradually,

Are you using the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to do that "zoom?" If so, then you can Keyframe that Effect over time. You can also alter the Interpolation of those Keyframes. They are created Linear, but PrE allows you to use other Interpolation, such as Bezier, to "smooth" the Keyframing out a bit.

If I am completely missing what you are doing, and what you need, then please ignore the above.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

I am not sure that I am targeting what you seek with regard to the green screen footage and the background....asssuming that you want the object or person in the green screen to zoom in context with the background....

Background on Video 1

Green Screen with Green Screen intact on Video 2

Keyframe Video 2 content (with green still there) via Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale property

Then, select Green Screen on Video 2, Edit Menu/Copy

Then, select Background on Video 1, Edit Menu/Paste Effects and Adjustments

Then, go to Video 2, for fx Effects/Keying/Green Screen Key

The object or person will zoom with the background.

Disclaimers....

Copy/Paste Effects and Adjustments will do that for all Effects and Adjustments in the clip besides the Scaling keyframing.

I tried to do this in a more selective way, that is, Select All, Copy the keyframes in the Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded/Scale,

but my Paste was not working. If worse came to worse, I could write down the numbers there and use those for the keyframing of the background on Video 1, but....

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

I do not believe you need to cut the background.

I have been experimenting with this this afternoon with rough models.

You should need two scale keyframes on Video 1's background content

first at the very start of the Lucy zoom,

second at the end of the Lucy zoom.

Screenshot 1.JPG

Screenshot2.JPG

I have tried a variety of Interpolation Methods on the keyframes. Are you working in the Motion Panel expanded area view that I have shown in the screenshot? You can right click a keyframe in the Show/Hide Keyframe area and set for

Linear, Bezier, Auto Bezier, Continuous Bezier, or one of the presets Ease In or Ease Out to try to control the keyframe effects.

Have you taken that approach already? The end result should not be a jump in zoom levels, but

gradual one.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Mike,

I agree with ATR - there should be no need to Cut Lucy's "background" footage on Video Track 1.

If the zoom is to be continuous, then you only need two Keyframes (the one where you wish the zoom to begin, and the one where you wish it to end.

If, however, you wish to zoom into a % with Scale, and "hold" that over time, you would just add a Keyframe (let's say with 120%,) where the zoom should stop, then progress along the Timeline, to where you wish for it to start again, and place a Keyframe there. The % of Scale would be the same (i.e. holding that setting) at 120% (my example here). Then you would continue the zoom, until you want it to stop again.

In the Scale Keyframe display, you would have a "ramp" up to where you wished to hold the zoom, then a flat, horizontal line, until the Keyframe, where you wish to begin zooming again.

As ATR points out, you can smooth the Interpolation of those Keyframes, by Rt-clicking on the Keyframe, and changing the Interpolaton. Just a gues, but your experimentation with Interpolation will tell, I think that Bezier will get you what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

I have not run into that kind of Transitions display in my Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. Interesting "click around in the blank space I can find them." Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Have you found that, if you give it more time, the opened Transitions palette will populate itself with the Transitions thumbnails? My Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit was a nightware in getting started, extreme slowness in File Menu/New/Project opening and program closing the saved project. The Windows 7 64 bit problems are now gone, but the Windows 8 side of things persists, but I almost have them resolved. Bottom line: see if you are being hit by one of these time related "program is not responding" related issues. I do not see this behavior on Premiere Elements 11 which I have on the same computers.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

You mentioned Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA GTX 680. Set up a flare.

Have you seen the growing problems with Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA video card users. Here the answer was not the latest version of the video card driver. The answer was to roll back the video card driver, at least for now until someone at NVIDIA or Adobe sorts through the matter.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

Please review the link content and the idea and see if any of that applies to your specific situation.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Thanks for the update.

Hope that was a permanent fix until the Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA video card driver issues get sorted out.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Very discouraging. I am still battling Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit. My hangups are with the slow opening of File Menu/New/Project and the slow closing when saving closing the program. I am inventing new troubleshooting as I go. Premiere Elements 11 on that same Windows 8 64 bit computer runs great all around. Premiere Elements 12 other than what I have mentioned runs fine on Window 8 64 bit. But, those waits are outrageous.

I will keep a watch for any transition issues. Are you OK with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit? Is it just Premiere Elements 10 where this issue hit?

As a side note, Premiere Elements 11 and 12 on Windows 7 64 bit are running with any complaints from me.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Thanks for your additional reports on your Premiere Elements 10 and 12 on Windows 8 64 bit.

It has always been the case (well almost always) that when you create a project in one version and then edit it in a later one, you cannot go back and edit that later version edited project back in the earlier version.

I wrote "well almost always" because I found one situation where, if you created the project in Premiere Elements 10 Windows, you could edit it in an earlier version. It is a one of a kind and repeatable situation specific to version 10. However, using this "perk" can lead to other complications, so not advising it. Further details on this upon request.

It will be interesting to follow your disappearing transitions situations in Premiere Elements 10. I suspect that the video card issue is involved. If a new and improved NVIDIA video card driver appears, maybe that will be the answer?

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points