Skip navigation
tysonrb
Currently Being Moderated

Multiple Displays with Mavericks and Illustrator

Oct 22, 2013 4:28 PM

Tags: #mac

In Mavericks, is it still possilbe to move tools to a 2nd monitor. I have read that you cannot stretch apps across multiple monitors, but am not sure if this pertains to things like illustrator and photoshop. If it is not possible, are there settings to revert the displays back to Mountain Lion?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to tysonrb

It is correct that Maverics has an improved full screen mode.

You may want to look at documentation on the Apple site for this feature, but here is a brief description relating to your question.

By default the new mode is enabled. The new mode does not allow for windows to straddle across displays. As you move a window across two displays you will notice that one part of the window is semi-transparent. This part will be clipped when you let go of the window. The transparent part is determined by the position of your mouse. The part of the window that is on the same display as the mouse is opaque and will not be clipped.

Apple calls this feature "Displays have separate Spaces" and you can revert to the 10.8 behavior by unchecking the related check box in System Preferences > Mission Control.

Note that the new behavior allows you to have one display in (OSX native) fullscreen mode while other displays are not. If you uncheck "Displays have separate Spaces" then you get the 10.8 behavior: when one displays is in OSX native fullscreen mode, then other displays are blacked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 11:22 PM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

Just upgraded to Maverick. I normally have all my panels on a second display, and have saved a custom workspace with everything where I want it. With Mavericks, when I first open or switch to Illustrator (this goes for Photoshop and InDesign as well), all the panels appear on my main monitor. However, if I drag one panel to the second monitor, all the others follow. Another way to move all the panels to the second monitor is to choose Window>Workspace>Reset "workspace name". However, this is a real pain to do every time I switch back to an app, so I may have to revert to the old monitor behaviour unless Apple or Adobe can provide a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to LOUIS FISHAUF

Tried turning off "Displays have seperate spaces" in Mission Control, but this did not fix the issue, until I realized that I needed to log out and in again. After logout, monitor behaviour is now the same as it used to be, and panels appear on the second monitor. Too bad about losing the "seperate spaces" ca[pabilities though.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to LOUIS FISHAUF

Hi Louis,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

We have not been able to reproduce this. Can you describe your setup?

What hardware are you using.

What is your display configuration:

• Number of displays
    • Resolution of the displays
    • Arrangement of the displays
    • Where is the main display

If you are using a laptop, is "Automatic graphics switching" on? (This setting can be found in System Preferences>Energy Saver)

Are you using Spaces - if so what are your "MIssion Control" settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

I'm also having this problem.

I'm running an iMac with a seondary (Dell) monitor. Both displays are1920x1200. Location:

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4300/8li5.png

The main display is the imac screen.

I am using spaces, with the "Displays have separate spaces" setting turned on (and would like to continue doing this... it's a very helpful feature for OTHER progams!)

My mission control settings:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4880/zihc.png

My collegue has a very similar setup – all the same settings in System Prefs, but his panels all stay in the right spot when he switches to another program... so I know it's possible! I just can't figure out what the difference between his and mine are.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to Luke-CYB

I have a somewhat similar set up here: An iMac with two displays. Even when I try to reproduce your set-up, I don't see the problem.
    Which version of Photoshop and Illustrator are you using?

If you Control click on Photoshop in the dock and choose "Options" do you see an "Assign To" group? If you do, what is it set to? (try setting it to none).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

I'm using the CC version of everything.

When I control click on the icon in the dock, there is no "Assign To" group as I don't have any extra desktop/spaces added.

I added one and Photoshop was assigned to "None" by default – I tested it in Photoshop & InDesign after this, and I still got the same results.

EDIT: After quitting and restarting InDesign & Photoshop, my panels stay in place IF the following settings are applied:

• In Mission Control, more than one desktop is enabled (Desktop 1 + Desktop 2 is one the main display, Desktop 3 is on the second display)
    • Right/Ctrl click on the dock icon; Options > Assign To > None (Note: "All Desktops" also seems to work)

So now I have an extra desktop in my Mission Control that I don't need, but that is significantly better than the alternative!

Message was edited by: Luke-CYB

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

I set "Assign to" to none, and now everything seems to be working correctly -- panels appear in the correct place on my second monitor when opening and/or switching to AI, PS and ID. Thanks for the suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to tysonrb

Same issue here, workspaces not compatible with spaces on Mavericks with CS6.

As others above have mentioned, assigning a space breaks the workspace setup whenever switching spaces. All tools get moved back to the main display.

Adobe, please fix this. Assigning programs to a space is a very useful feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 6:28 PM   in reply to kcgmark

Hello, slightly different but frustrating as hell —

the full screen mode shows sliders on the bottom and righthand side of the screen using keystroke or (minute) buttons in toolbar

such a simple thing that has had me stressed all evening.

yes i"m using Mavericks

any ideas please?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2014 6:11 AM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

Well, Mission Control seems to do the trick. I'm working with CS6 and Maverick on a Pro with three 30" monitors (still the best when working with tons of panorama stuff ;-), and deselecting "Displays have separate Spaces" plus logging out>in worked like a charm! Yes, you have to drag the picture around a bit, but it stays in place over all three displays.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points