Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CC applications will open in Mavericks, but actual project files crash them

Oct 24, 2013 11:28 AM

Tags: #mavericks #red_giant_software

Haven't seen this one exactly yet here, though I get the feeling the answer will be the same:  solution coming soon, which is actually fine.  But FYI:

I am working on the most recent Mac Pro upgraded with two Nvidia graphics cards including a modified FX 580 with an external power supply, so not an off-the-shelf system, though it has worked up til now.

I installed Mavericks, and the 12.0.1 AE update, and the latest CUDA software.  I don't know if I have the latest-latest Nvidia driver because when I try to install it, its installer isn't compatible with Mavericks.  But every other program is still running so I think it's operational. 

Like the headline says, the programs open just fine, but when I try to open my film edit in Premiere Pro or any effects shots in AE, the programs crash.  AE just quits uncerimoniously; PP gives me that "sorry a serious error has occurred" window you have to click. 

Any advice or 12.1 updates would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to evie_harris

What happens if you create a new project from scratch? Can you make a solid, animate its position, and do a RAM preview?

If that works, what happens when you import an existing project into your brand new one?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to evie_harris

Screenshot of the error in PPro please.  A Crash log would help too.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to evie_harris

I am having this exact same issue after updating to Windows 8.1. I'm using GCN cards though.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to evie_harris

Evie,

Have you tried reinstalling your graphics driver for the nVidia card? This is what I did to solve a very similar problem after updating my operating system.

Regards,

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to jlederman8

To attach the crash report to a post:

1) Click Reply.

2) Click Use Advanced Editor (upper right)

3) Click Browse button (lower left)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

This is SO similar to the problem I have had with my Premiere Pro CS6, Wont open Project files made in OS X Lion but create a brand new project and save it, it will re open that with no problems?!!

Here is my thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5792694

Any help at all would be amazing!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to Louis Vella

I know this isn't helpful to those experiencing problems, but hopefully others will come across these editing "commandments" that I learned from some experienced editors years ago:

Never update your Operating System when a brand new version comes out, wait at least until one revision or better yet the .3 version.

Never update your Operating System in the middle of a project even if the operating system seems stable. 

Always keep a backup of your boot drive.  If you are a thrill seeking type and you want to try a brand new Operating System when it is freshly released but all hell breaks loose, you can revert back to the stable version. 

Cheers,

Gerry

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to evie_harris

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for your graphics card?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to evie_harris

Note that Red Giant plug-ins are currently NOT Mavericks compatible:

http://www.redgiant.com/blog/2013/10/22/osx-mavericks-and-red-giants-s oftware/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Paul Uusitalo

I was having the same issue.. I took a punt and installed Mavericks last night and let it install, index, reorder RAM, etc overnight. This morning the system would start Premiere and land at the intro screen but crash when opening projects. I tried importing an existing project into a new one and managed to play one timeline briefly but crashed out on all the others. I thought it might be Perian causing issues - OSX threw a warning about it when starting up - so removed it plus the items in the Library/../Quicktime folder. No luck. Looked in my MediaCore folder as per the instructions above but only found ScopeLink in there, no Red Giant plugins. I didn't try removing it. Instead I bit the bullet and restored 10.8.x from Time Machine. The whole exercise cost me a morning but it's back running smoothly now. I'll be giving 10.9 a WIDE berth for the time being. I echo the advice from digitalkiln above!

After Effects ran fine under 10.9 (but lost the media in a few dynamic link comps), Audition flat out refused to even show the splash screen, and I had no dramas with Photoshop, Muse, Illustrator, Bridge and InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 9.01.42 AM.png

This is what I get everytime. Including an infinite rainbow wheel. I can't do anything else after this and I have to "Force Quit" out.  I am using Adobe CS6 and my language and regions settings are correct (English & United States). It was fine before the Mavericks update. I really don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to russellalboroto

@russellalboroto: If you're getting past the splash screen, then the system language/region is not what's causing problems for you.

You say "This is what I get every time." Every time that you do what, exactly? Load a project? Browse to a clip in Media Browser? Load a clip from Media Browser into Source Monitor? Import a clip from Media Browser into the project?

If the hang follows doing something with a clip, does it happen with any type of clip or only with this batch of .movs? If only these .movs lead to the hang, then please tell us as much as possible about them. Where exactly did they come from? Codec? Resolution & frame rate? ...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I'm getting this problem when I am loading a clip from the Media Browser into the Source Monitor.  It doesn't freeze when I load mp3's.  It only freezes when I load a batch of .mov's. The .mov files are coming from a DSLR (Canon 5D Mark II) with a resolution of 1920x1080p 24fps. I tried editing the project on an iMac (with Mavericks & CS6) at work as well and it's having the same problem.

Thanks for all the help Mark!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 10:45 PM   in reply to russellalboroto

russellaboroto's experience is very close to mine. I am on CS6 and since Mavericks I cannot ingest or log files in Premiere or Prelude.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points