Skip navigation
artfairy
Currently Being Moderated

undo button indesign doesn't work

Oct 24, 2013 12:38 PM

Tags: #save #indesign #work #undo #doesn't

Hey guys,

I made a dossier in indesign (mac) for my design class and I worked over 24 hours on it.

Tomorrow, I have to hand it in, but then yesterday suddenly my SAVE, SAVE AS, and UNDO and REDO buttons didn't work anymore! So I let the laptop like it was and today I worked again on it,

but I accidentally deleated the wrong layer and now THE WHOLE DOSSIER IS DELEATED!

I can't undo it, because the button still doesn't work and I'm lucky that some hours ago, I exported the data as a PDF-file which thankfully worked, but there are still hours of hard work missing and now my project is not finished!

Can anyone help me? Please, I'm freaking out right now!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to artfairy

Have you tried the short cut for Undo?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to artfairy

If you have not yet closed the file, try exporting to .idml.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to artfairy

If you success to export file to IDML, that means your file is backup and rescue from lost.

------

After export try to open IDML file again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to artfairy

Sorry, I misunserstood that you had actually issues a command to delete the layers. At this point even autosave is by now also probably updated to the point where the layers were deleted.

See if you can open the file again, as a copy. Since it wasn't saving all this time, it may still have data in it. If it does, try a Save As or Export to .idml again, then close ID. Reboot and open ID again, open the newly saved file and make one change. See if you can save.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to artfairy

Are you saying you saved from the blank .idml over the original by using the same name, or that you somehow managed to save the original after doing the deletion, but before you discovered you could not undo?

If you did not save after the deletion and closed the file, the delteion should not have been saved and you should be able to open the file at the last saved state, but it sounds like you've saved it with no content.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to artfairy

No, you'll never get back any changes you made between the last save and the time the file was closed. If that was three hours work, that's unfortunate. My advice was simply a way for you to recover as much of your work as possible so you wouldn't need to start over from nothing.

Consider this as a good lesson in workflow habits. Save often, and I recommend doing a Save As with a new versioning name (I append a number) at each major change point where you are about to branchin a new direction. This gives you not only a set of backup files, but the ability to easily go back to a previous version and go in a new direction.

It's also good to develop the habit of hitting Cmd-Z (Ctrl-Z on Windows) for Undo immediately after you make a mistake, though it sounds like you actually tried to do this. File > Revert can be helpful too, if you've been saving right along.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'll throw this out there, too, as a way to go back to an earlier

version, very easily:

http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-sho uld-too/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points