Skip navigation
thelivedesigner
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open files because of program error (MacOS 10.9 bug with CoverFlow)

Oct 31, 2013 12:50 PM

Im having problems with the adobe creative cloud. When I try to open files in photoshop I get this "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 12:00 AM   in reply to thelivedesigner

You have to provide system info and otehr details.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to thelivedesigner

Having the same problem all of a sudden. I checked my CC acount and everything seems to be ok. Where do you go to "provide system info"?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to thelivedesigner

I had this problem as well with CS6. After trying all of the suggested resets, deleting CS6 Preferences and Settings files and folders I decided to delete all of the previous versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc settings and preferences. After upgrading for years there were files going back to CS2, even though I had long ago deleted those programs.

When I emptied the trash I found that some of these old preferences where in use, I rebooted, empty trash. Photoshop started working after that. No more program error and no more problems saving files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to thelivedesigner

Which OS version?

MacOS 10.9 has an OS bug that will cause errors in open dialogs if you have the CoverFlow view enabled, switching to another view (like List) will avoid the OS bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks Chris! I am running 10.9 (Mac Pro OSV 10.9, 2 x 2.4 Ghz Quad Core, 14 Gb ram). I believe I was in list view while trying to open image files but not entirely sure. I seem to be able to open image files now after running permissions in Disc Utility, trashing preferences for PSCC and my finder prefs too. Before doing this I tested this problem I was having in one of my other Mac accounts I have set up  and didn't seem to have this problem so I was thinking it could have been corrupt user account. I'm wondering if I need to do what Marke C. (above) did and delete all prior versions of my Adobe apps. I have the Adobe Cloud and most apps are CC but not all. So I do see dupe apps in my app folder. If you have an opinion, it's appreciated. Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to dvm

Running mavericks.

The problem didn't go away until I deleted the preference and settings files. Just deleting the directories in applications folder wasn't enough.

Probably should have run the uninstaller for each of them instead of dragging to the trash. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to dvm

Again, 10.9 has a known bug that affects all applications and will cause an error in open/save dialogs if the display mode is set to Coverflow.  Just changing the display mode to something else avoids that OS bug.

Deleting preferences, etc. is probably overkill -- but you still have to avoid the coverflow mode until Apple can release a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

Yes. That was in fact the problem. It is my wife's computer where the problem existed. She was able to find a work around by quickly clicking on another folder when the dialog box opens. This works for her 9 out of 10 times. She is also know learning to use Mini-Bridge which gives her a similar functionality.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points