Skip navigation
bburgessaxis41
Currently Being Moderated

Selecting multiple frames when you have hundreds of frames

Oct 25, 2013 8:01 AM

How do you select multiple frames when you have hundreds of frames to select. Is there any quick way to select all of them, or something similar to shift click (which doesn't work)? The only way I know to expand the selection is to scroll to the right, and keep the last selected frame in the timeline, then drag the dot over to the right, and keep doing this till you get to the end, but for a project that has hundreds or more frames, this is a long, irritating process.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to bburgessaxis41

i don't see a problem with shift-click.

if i click frame 1 of a 1 frame timeline and then scroll to frame 700 and shift-click frame 700 i select frames 1 to 700.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to bburgessaxis41

If there are no keyframes in between, you can double-click the span in the timeline. Or, like kglad says, shift-click does work once you scroll to where you want to be (at least in CS 5.5--later versions have so many bugs I am not yet convinced).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to bburgessaxis41

That's a different kettle of fish from what you asked. IMO, editing multiple frames is a horrible experience and very buggy.

Here are some things that help (marginally) for me.

• Use the set marker range button (the brackets with the dot in the middle). I usually select a layer that spans the whole timeline, then select "marker range all." Then I'll select the layer(s) with the items on it I need to edit.
    • Sometimes you need to move the frames you want to edit to their own layer(s) for this to work properly, then move them back when you are finished.
    • Sometimes you need to go through the cycle of marker range all>select your layer more than once to get the desired result.
    • It helps to look at the properties panel to see if the selection is more than one object, because sometimes everything looks right, but you still only have one frame selected for editing. This isn't a guarantee.
    • You can use the history panel to roll back multiple steps if it doesn't work as expected, or save before you start and don't save your changes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points