Skip navigation
ajsdesigns
Currently Being Moderated

Out of Memory with InDesign CC

Oct 25, 2013 9:49 AM

Tags: #out_of_memory #indesign_cc

I have a new computer (ASUS-Windows 8 (I hate it), Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU@2.40GHz, 16 GB DDRS, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor, 1024 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive). While working in InDesign CC on a 24 page newsletter, I get an "out of memory" popup that forces me to leave InDesign. I have done this newsletter for the past ten years, so the parameters have never changed. I've had no problems until using CC. I have a creative cloud membership (I love it). This also happened on my old computer. I'd done this same project on my old computer for three years using CS4 and CS6. When I downloaded CC, I got the "out of memory" popup. This prompted me to buy a new computer (which I figured it was time anyway). But now I have the same problem. I bought the best computer I could afford and I don't think I'm lacking in any area.

Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to ajsdesigns

There's something about that newsletter that is corrupt. Have you been using the same file for the last ten years? Or the same art, logos, etc.? You may want to trash it and rebuild from scratch, or at least export INX/IDML and reopen & resave.

My clients mostly ignored my advice to not open old INDDs in CC and resave, but instead to export INX or IDML and open that in CC. So I've seen quite a few buggy documents over the last two months.

I'm pretty sure that 100% of the "out of memory" errors I've encountered using InDesign since CS1 have boiled down to bugs or corrupt documents or memory leaks, not actual problems with the size of my publications and the amount of memory installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to ajsdesigns

ajsdesigns wrote:

1024 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive

If your user profile is on that ssd that could be the problem. ID uses the temp folder in the user profile for swap.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

But of course Joel also makes a VERY good point. We see LOTS of problems here with directly converted legacy .indd files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points