Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Maverick prevents file save in Ps CC, any clues?

Oct 25, 2013 2:16 PM

Tags: #crash #creative_cloud #cc

I cannot save as a file in Ps CC since upgrading to Maverick on a MacBook Pro

Processor  2.6 GHz Intel Core i7,

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Interestingly My Mac Pro works fine

Processor  2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

On doing a save as a window opens as normal but disappears before anything can be done.

Fortunately PS 6 still works on my laptop so I can still work.

Help would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Rexgom

OK, that's a new one.

Do you have any system extensions installed that would affect the OS save dialog?  Have you tried disabling them?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to Rexgom

I have same behavior

CS5 Photoshop 12.0.4

Mavericks

MBP 16Gb ram 2011 build intel core i7

Photoshop launches.

Save As dialog box disappears in app. 2 seconds. All menu items grayed out.

Happens on all TIFF files, some PSD files so far.

Frequently Open File displays same behavior, though intermittantly.

Command K no response

Resetting Photoshop defaults Command Shift Alt at start, no change

Java OSX 2013-005 and java runtime installed post Mavericks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

Do you have any system extensions installed that would affect the OS open or save dialog?

The open and save dialogs are run by the OS, not by the application, so something is wrong at the OS level on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

No system extensions that I'm aware of, though I can't speak for the OP.

I installed Photoshop CC to see if the behavior was consistent and it is. Dialog box disappears within 2s.

If I race to the save button, it WILL save (ie I get the default 'compatability' tickbox warning) but it's definitely happening on multiple versions of Photoshop.

I'll try another Adobe app, say Illustrator, next.

What is most troubling is that the save dialog boxes for other non adobe apps are not behaving irregularly. It's just Adobe.

UPDATE: It's only Photoshop. Illustrator was normal.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

What is different on your system compared to a clean OS install?

Again, something is going wrong at an OS level to mess up the OS open/save dialogs.

What utilities or system extensions have you installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 7:47 PM   in reply to Rexgom

Check the ownership of the drives.  If you have read only or custom access that would be your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

What kinds of applications are you thinking about when you say utilities/system extensions?

Examples?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

Your comment, Curt, raised an interesting issue. I'm working from an internal MBP drive right now. To get to drive permissions, I went to the drive itself in Finder, and found 'you have read only access' and it shows System as read/write, Wheel as read only, Everyone as read only. When I change anything of course it becomes 'custom'. I thought it odd that my admin account would have read only access, but I wonder if that's typical on the root drive. I've never looked at the permissions of the root before, only externals. So this may not be atypical. Regardless, it cannot be changed, without violating your conditional statement.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 8:04 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

Also, based ont he roaringapps compatability list, the only apps (so FAR) that I have showing up are Aperture 'some problems' and then Growl and Onyx as 'don't work'

I could uninstall these, I suppose. I'm still curious what system extensions you might be referring to, Chris. I don't tend to think in terms of extensions in the post-OSX world. I have various power tool apps for tweaking the machine, but I don't know what I would point to. Most are not in use until they are launched.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

One more item, for others having this problem: I found a way to circumvent the issue a moment ago: I was testing different things int he save dialog to see if anything would prevent it from prematurely closing. Save for web worked fine already. And here's what salvaged Save As: I noted the view format for the dialog box was cover flow, so I quickly changed it to List view... and it stayed open. That suggests a cover flow issue. If you switch it back to cover flow, it stays open. Once you complete the operation, then try Save As again, now it comes up with cover flow as the view default, right, as that's what it was left with on last operation... and it disappears again. Change it to list or any other view, and it stays open.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

Another mac user is having same problem with permission and maverick.  http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge.  Like I said don't know what custom access is but might google it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to wrongrobot

ANY system extensions or utilities you have running, especially anything that shows up in the system prefs panel, or in the menu bar.

ANYthing that might interfere with another application, or with OS open/save dialogs.

Growl and Onyx have system extensions, in addition to host applications.

Even Wacom drivers have system extensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 3:03 AM   in reply to Rexgom

I have a similar error on my mac. As soon as I try to change save location on the system harddrive I get kicked out from the save dialogue. Photoshop CC used to work just fine before upgrading to Maverick.

I  set the permission of all users on my install disk to read and write, but that didn't work. Luckily I have other harddrives installed and I managed to save to those.

Update: For some reason the permission change seem to have kicked in, becuase now I can save to the system drive.

Update 2: Saving to the system disk doesn't work any longer

Update 3: I noticed that I have the same problem in Illustrator... The save dialogue opens but disappears, but if I am quick and select another harddrive, then I can save.

Update 4: There seems to be something wrong with the keyboard as well, becuase it stops working every once in a while. I noticed it when I was alt tabbing between applications, all of the sudden the keyboard stops to accept commands, but afte ra while it wakes up again. AND this only happens when alt tabbing between Photoshop and Illustrator, not going between non-adobe products. Something is fishy...

Update 5: Now I have problems OPENING fles as well

Adobe_Photoshop.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to ThomasNorden

The save dialog is run by the OS, so there is something wrong on your system at the OS level.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

And when it only affects Adobe CC appplications you wouldn't think that it might have something to do with Adobe products the tiniest bit?

And what about the fact that the keyboard freezes when I alt tab between Adobe CC products?

/T

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 12:54 PM   in reply to ThomasNorden

If you have coverflow view selected in the open or save dialogs, that can cause an error - switching to another view will avoide that OS bug.   That affects all applications, and is a known bug in MacOS 10.9.

We're still investigating what could cause keyboard problems for a few users.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

That's what i was talking about on the 26th, Chris.

At least staying out of Cover Flow is a good workaround. Cover Flow is having some other non-Adobe related issues as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 4:22 AM   in reply to wrongrobot

Same experience here and narrowed down to cover flow (tried to resolve with tech support live chat without success). Unable to open files in PS CC if the folder is in cover flow display, just get error message. Same in 'save for web' dialogue box if the destination folder was last viewed in cover flow.

Can cover flow be disabled altogether, as a file viewing option?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I moved away from cover flow and now I can save files to my system disk. I still have the problem with the keyboard freezing up.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I was having this problem and confirm that switching to list view from coverflow in the file save dialog prevents the error.  The error affects CC, CS6 and CS5, as you might expect because this does appear to be an OSX related issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points