Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FR: Paste/Ripple Paste At Cursor (a much easier alternative to the current pasting functions!)

Oct 25, 2013 7:51 PM

Tags: #paste #pasting #ripple_paste #ripple_pasting

Pasting/Ripple pasting media in Premiere can be a real chore to say the least.  Depending on how full of media your Timeline is, you have to constantly turn track targetting on/off to avoid overwriting clips, and track targetting is at constant odds with other functions you need to use on a regular basic.  For example, if your V1 track is full of clips, you need to turn V1 targeting on in order to be able to use basic editing functions such as 'Add Edit' and 'Ripple Trim Next/Previous Edit to Playhead'.  But then you have to constantly turn V1 targeting off when pasting to avoid overwriting clips on that track!  That's an ill-conceived/inefficient workflow IMO, but there's a simple solution!

What if Adobe added new keyboard-shortcut-assignable functions to instantly paste or ripple paste clips at the cursors position?!  These new functions wouldn't in any way interfere with the current paste/ripple paste functions, and they would save users the hastle of moving the CTI and turning track tragetting on/off all the time.

What do you guys think?

Here's my official FR.  Please feel free to copy/paste and send it as your own FR to Adobe, here: www.adobe.com/go/wish.

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:

New 'Paste at Cursor' & 'Ripple Paste at Cursor' functions

How would you like the feature to work?

These keyboard-shortcut assignable functions would allow users to easily paste/ripple paste copied clips at the cursor location.  For example, if the cursor is over V3, then the copied clips would be pasted from the cursor position onward on V3, regardless of which video tracks are targeted or not.  If copied material contains both video and audio, then the linked media could either:

A) be copied to the matching track (i.e. pasting video to V3 would automatically paste its audio to A3, and vice versa)

B) respect track targeting the way it currently works (i.e. pasting clips with the cursor over A4 would automatically paste the linked video to the lowest targeted video track, or to the same video track the media was copied from if no video tracks are targeted)

C) ignore the linked media altogether

This is something that would require research to find out the best option, or could also be offered as a user selectable preference.

Why is this feature important to you?

Pasting/Ripple pasting in Premiere can be a real chore, since it involves placing the CTI to the correct position and more often than not, turning video and audio track targeting on and off to avoid overwriting clips by mistake.  My two proposed functions wouldn't interfere with this current workflow, while providing users with an easy and intuitive one-step solution for pasting clips to the right track(s)!

Regarding the options A, B or C, what do you think would be the best option?   Or should this behavior be user selectable?  Thanks for your input!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

I still think using the mouse cursor as a modifier in the sequence is just bad design.  The CTI defines where things happen.  This is industry wide behavior in every NLE.

I think the simpler solution would be for you to set up the Targeting shortcuts to make the job of targeting tracks easier on yourself.  You still have to position the CTI, but again, that's the paradigm for NLEs.  I don't believe changing that would be beneficial.  How many complaints do you think we'd see in the forums when clips stopped pasting at the CTI and went where the mouse cursor was instead.

And just to get a jump start on your argument for a preference, I do feel it's possible to go overboard with those.  You'd have PP's preferences the size of a phone book.  There are times when choice is good, and times when it's better for everyone to do things exactly the same way.  This is definitely the latter.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Your feature request calls for using the mouse cursor to do what the CTI does - define where something happens in the sequence.  I think that's a bad idea, whatever the function might be.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

I  use Alt Drag to copy and move clips to a new location.

Effectively ..Pasting the clips to wherever the mouse is pointed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Interesting to observe that your early FR's and discussions  were all about more Keyboard Shortcuts for Premiere efficiencies and now you have shifted to  mouse-centric arguments. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points