Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Return to last menu - how can you do this on a Blu-ray?

Oct 25, 2013 10:28 PM

Tags: #problem #chapter #buttons #menu #blu-ray #encore #dvd #cs6 #build #timeline #bluray #menus

Hi,

I seem to have a problem witht he Return To Last Menu button setting, this is how it works:

I have a BD and a DVD project, both pretty much the same, they have a main menu and a chapter menu, all working fine. In the disc properties, the Title Menu buton is set to go to the main menu. The issue I am having is that when I am on either disc, pressing the menu button, which is a title menu button on a BD player, will only take me back to the menu which is set globally - the Title Menu button setting. It does not seem that I can press this button and return to the last menu, I thought the RTLM setting on a timeline would take me back to the menu I was last on - is this possible?

I hope that all makes sense - on the preview wndow in Encore, there is a Title Menu button and a Menu button, the menu button seems to take me back from the timeline to the last viewed menu but the title menu button takes me back to the globally selected Title Menu button.

I am using Encore 6.

Many thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to Reefer_UK

So you are setting the timeline property for the title remote to "last menu," it works in DVD, and does not in Bluray, right?

I agree that it seems it should.

I would not trust the Encore preview as a test.

I do not understanf the following parts of the Encore 5.1 release notes, which are not repeated for CS6, but I wonder if they apply or hint at some limitations:

Unsupported Blu-ray operations:

1. Title Menu and change Presentation mode doesn't have corresponding user operation in Blu-ray.

2. Blu-ray doesn't have root menu operation. So, for timeline the Menu button on remote  was used for Popup Menu user operation - this applies only to PS3.

3. The "Play Timeline" disc user operation is not fully supported in Blu-ray.

4. The "Stop" operation is not supported by PS3. (#2432546)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to Reefer_UK

I'd love to prove you wrong, but, in addition t having no time today, you describe a good set of tests!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to Reefer_UK

Things work a bit differently for Blu-ray because of the Pop Up menu capability.  Whereas with a DVD you'd normally go back to the menu, with a Blu-ray you frequently go to a Pop Up menu instead.

So here's how it works.  The Top Menu on the remote will go to the Title Menu that you set in Encore.  The Pop Up menu button on the remote will go to the Pop Up menu if you have one, or the last menu if you don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to Reefer_UK

Just double checked this (going back to last menu if you don't have a pop up menu) and it doesn't work. The pop up menu button does nothing.

I got these same results.

One menu, two timelines. One timeline has a popup, the other doesn't. Build to folder and burned to Verbatim BD-RE with ImgBurn. BD player: Toshiba BDK21KU; remote has Home Menu, Menu, Bonus View, and Pop/Top. Pop/Top is active only for the timeline with the popup, and brings up the popup; does nothing anywhere else. Home stops the disk; Menu takes to designated menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to Reefer_UK

Thanks for your answer Stan, though I am a little confused....

In case your confusion was based on my describing two timelines, I was describing my simple navigation to do a test simply of whether the absence of a popup results in a return to last menu. ; not suggesting anything. I am simply agreeing with your finding that there appears to be no return to last menu whether there is a popup or not. I have not tested whether there is any return to last menu otherwise, but I do not see one.

Yes, scripting  might be a workaround, and I wish we had it, but it is not simple and, in any event, Encore will not be developed. Larry Applegate, from Rivergate, was very frustrated at Adobe failure to fix Bluray navigation.

He has been very responsive in the past, but has not posted here since spring. I would try contacting some of the repliation houses to see if they have any leads.

I wonder if BDEdit is an option. I have not used it.

I don't understand the duplicate timelines comment. How would that help? Ah, a popup is attached to a timeline; which can be called by different menus. And a playlist does not appear to get around this. My thought had been that the worst case is that users will not have a return to last menu, and that your popup menu(s) will need to have the options (and only those options) that you want from each timeline. But the popup would in fact need to have all menus, and your naming of menus would have to be clear enough to allow users to get where they want to get.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Reefer_UK

I'm not sure if it would work or not. The devil is in the details.

Only worry here is that I have a playlist and wonder how the timeline popup action would work within a playlist? Especially if the user wants to go back to the scenes menu with subtitles ON, they press POPUP and it is expected to go back to the menu showing subs are on, etc.

I have not tested, but you cannot set popups for playlists, only timelines. So I assume that when in a playlist and popup is pressed, you get the popup for that timeline.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points