Skip navigation
LittleMamasPretties.com
Currently Being Moderated

Saving a jpeg

Oct 25, 2013 9:05 PM

Tags: #export_jpegs

I am saving an adobe illustrator file as a jpeg for print at a photo center.  When I export to save with a 300ppi, the photo center (Target) doesn't recognize the jpeg file.  When I save for web, the photo center recognizes the file, but it prints very low quality (pixelized).  Both jpegs are being saved at high quality.  Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to LittleMamasPretties.com

Maybe it is the size of your document.

inches x ppi = pixel dimention

Increasing the inches will increase the pixels of the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 11:26 PM   in reply to LittleMamasPretties.com

Took me a moment, but if you think about it, its correct. the save for web is just that the web which would be about 72 ppi.

Exporting the jpg is the way to go as it has the option to change the resolution which is missing in the save for web dialog box.

However, if all fails you can still use the save fore web and ignore the ppi. (for now)

Change the art board size to match in pixel dimention of what it would have been for 300ppi.

4" x 300 = 1200 pixels

6 x 300 = 1800 pixels

After you type in the correct pixels for the art board, use save for web.

Edit: Scale the artwork to fit

Then in any image editor including photoshop, open the jpg (or better yet use png and let jpg be the final file format)

In photoshop use Image>Image size - then change the ppi back to 300 ppi which will then show 4"x6" for the print dimentions.

Finally save as jpg.

As for the jpg that is saved for the export command in illustrator, you could upload that image to the forum so someone can see why the print service can not read it.

In the mean time, try loading that jpg into an image editor and see if you can see the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

But if the problem with sending the file is because it is 1200x1800 and 2.6 MB, making it the same size with Save for Web won't help.

the photo center (Target) doesn't recognize the jpeg file

LittleMamas, you have to elaborate what exactly this means. After you have the files saved, what steps exactly you made before you realized that Target is not recognizing your files? According to their requirements, size doesn't seem to be the problem. http://www.targetphoto.com/faqs/#6

I think you should contact them and ask for help because the problem is obviously with them and not the size of your files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Silkrooster

Silkrooster wrote:

Took me a moment, but if you think about it, its correct. the save for web is just that the web which would be about 72 ppi.

On my monitor it is 110 ppi because that's how big the pixels of my monitor are. Some smart phones and pads like those from Apple have 326 ppi. Different monitor brands use different size pixels. I don't think there are currently screen displays on the market with 72ppi.  In other words Save for Web doesn't put ppi information in the file because the images are intended for screen viewing and the size of the image will depend on the size of the pixels of the monitor being used. Web browsers ignore the ppi information in the files and at 100% zoom, one pixel from the image fits one monitor pixel. Also only certain file formats support ppi information. png files for example don't have ppi.

When files without ppi information are opened in some production programs like Illustrator they are assumed to be 72 ppi.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to LittleMamasPretties.com

One possible reason is if the colors of the JPG file are CMYK, some viewers can't display CMYK files but only RGB. Is your Illustrator document CMYK? It will say in the title bar of the document window when you open the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to LittleMamasPretties.com

Well, there is an option in the export options to choose type or art optimized anti-aliasing but I think this make a difference mostly with low resolution images intended for screen but you can try it anyway. What I think will make a difference is increasing the ppi resolution. PDF rasterizes text and vectors treating them like line art at the highest resolution of the printer which gives advantage over using JPGs for artworks created with vectors.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 10:20 PM   in reply to LittleMamasPretties.com

If you want to print, never export as JPG, save as PDF according the specifications of the printer (e.g. PDF/X-1a or X-4, with a given output profile, but avoid CMYK-CMY-conversion).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 2:11 AM   in reply to LittleMamasPretties.com

Do I want type or art optimized?

If there's no text in your artwork: Art optimized. When in doubt, try both and compare.

And how do I increase ppi?

via Save for Web: you can't. You can only increase the pixel dimensions (which has the same effect). But you would need to change resolution in a different software.

Ask if the printer will also accept a vector based file format (which JPEG is not).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points