Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export Error in LR 5.2 since update to OSX 10.9 Maverick!!

Oct 26, 2013 12:14 PM

Tags: #error #osx #export #lr #finder #10.9 #5.2 #maverick

Hi all

i have a real problem with LR 5.2 since update to OSX 10.9. the Export function crash with a error. "Unable to Export"

Bildschirmfoto 2013-10-26 um 21.04.14.png

This Error only occurs when i choose the Function: Export to: Choose folder later (useful for presets)

The same error occusrs when i choose the function "Open Catalog"

Always when LR call the Finder from OSX 10.9 the Function in LR crash.

under OSX 10.8.5, it never was a problem.

please i need help because without the export and the open catalog function LR is useless.

thanks for tipps an help

Cheers Tinu2808

MacBook Pro Retina 15" with 8GB Ram and 256 GB SSD OSX 10.9 Maverick, LR5.2

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Tinu2808

Encountering exactly the same problem - can't export at all jpg files.

For me the error also occurs when choosing a specific folder. 

Some bugs there....

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Oct 28, 2013 12:13 AM   in reply to janpieters

Do you have any plugins installed?  If so, try disabling them

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to Tinu2808

I noticed that I can export ONLY if I say "export to original file location".   None of the other suggestions has been any help or made any difference.  An Adobe chat person who "helped" me get my CC to login managed to hose ALL the permissions on my desktop so I do NOT suggest their chat group as a reliable source either.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Oct 28, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to bonnieleek

There's a bug report here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/export_issue_lig htroom_5_mavericks_os

And the solution the original poster found worked was:

i chose export to same folder as the original which works fine. i tried to export to a specific folder and that now works. I just tried exporting to a folder of my choice and that is working now too.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Oct 29, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to Tinu2808

Tinu2808 wrote:

when i choose Macintosh HD or a directory with hughe content the function crashs

when i choose a directory for example a new empty directory test on my HD the export works

When you say a directory with huge content, how many files are we talking about?  I'm trying to reproduce it, but I can't so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

My desktop is not huge and I cannot export to it.  I can export ONLY to the original file location

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Thank you Victoria for the link to the bug report.  Unfortunately, it is not solved and it seems to be a Finder problem.

I got a setting that now works (with a workaround).  A nuisance, but at least the I don't get the error messages any more.

Export to Specific folder - chose my folder.  It crashed a few times, but eventually accepted it after relaunching Finder (which could be an indication that it is a Finder problem - I am not savvy or OS X nurdy enough to make a call on this).

Can export all file types now, but I have now an extra step to do in my workflow: putting the files in the folder I really want them to be in.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to janpieters

Check out another issue I encountered - changing the Backup location of the LR catalogue

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_5_cant _change_location_of_backup_catalogue_os_x_mavericks?rfm=1

Solution for this was to relaunch Finder.

So, it tried it for the Export error and no more problems.  Stumbling on the solution by accident so to speak.

When you are ready to export - relaunch the Finder first. In Finder: File - Force Quite - Relaunch.  Solved for me - and I only had to do it once (so far).

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Oct 30, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to Tinu2808

Make sure you add your findings to the bug report I linked to above.  I'll make sure the engineers see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to Tinu2808

Indeed you are right - only worked temporary.

Since doing the following, I have no more problems (after several chat session with Apple Care Support). 

1. Reset Spotlight: add and remove the drive that has Lightroom application on it in Privacy tab of Spotlight preferences: Preferences - Spotlight - Privacy

2. Then restart in recovery mode (Command R on Startup) and Repair Permissions and Repair Disk

3. Restart in Safe Mode

4. Restart normally and delete Lightroom Applications from the Applications folder (empty trash) - download maybe first the dmg file from Adobe first

5. Reinstall Lightroom.

Hopefully not another 'try' but a fix - hopefully working for you also. As always - backup first...

No more problems since (crossing fingers)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to janpieters

After doing all this and operaitng fine for a few days, this morning for another application I needed to install Adobe Flash Player .. and since then my LR is back to the same issues.

THEN I deleted the LR program from my Applications folder and was not able to reinstall it .. could not get it to download again.  Creative Cloud THOUGHT it was still on my computer and it would simply NOT download from again.  I finally restorted to using Time Machine to reinstall it .. or at least put it  back.

There is ANOTHER PROBLEM associated with this:  LR will NOT let me import from another catalog. It opens the dialog, points to the directory wher my LR catalog lives and IMMEDIATELY blows up and gives me an error message.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 4, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to bonnieleek

Does it get as far as Lightroom's Import from Catalog dialog, or is this still on the OS dialog?  There's an Apple bug with the OS dialog set to coverflow view, which is causing crashes in a variety of programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

1) As soon as I pointed to the DRIVE where I wanted to import the catalog, the dialog completely quit and took me back to LR interface

2) We restored my MacPro to right after Mavericks was installed and note the following:

a) If I select my OSX drive (desktop) export and import work

b) if I select a drive inside my computer (photos or old-photos drives) import and export work

c) If I select my LaCie external 3TB driver that I use for Time Machine, import and export work

d) If I select my LaCie rugged drive (which happens to be dual formattted as Mac OS AND a separate partition with MS-DOS) import and export crash ... import blows up as described before and export gives the same error message we saw earlier (index)

NOW .. after I attempted to use the LaCie rugged drive and it blows up, the system CONTINUES to blow up until I change my export parameters so I can choose a different drive.  Once I have successfully selected a different drive, everything works again UNtil i try to import or export to the LaCie Rugged. 

I hope this information will help us narrow down our search for the culprit.   

Thanks for your continued help.

PS  On my laptop (MacBookPro) I have had NONE of these issues and I read from and write to the same LaCie drive all the time. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 5, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to bonnieleek

So this is the OS dialog that's dying then, rather than a LR one.  Is the OS dialog set to the Coverflow view?  Can you access the LaCie Rugged to open or save in other programs?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

The MacPro allows me to import and export / read and write / to the LaCie n MAC programs.  I successfully imported photos into Iphoto and exported back to the same disk. 

I am able to use the Bridge to import and view photos on the LaCie

In photoshop when I did file/open and pointed to the LaCie I got a message "program error" and the dialog quit.  BUT when I browsed there with the bridge and clicked it "open" then PS opened the photo.   When I went to save  have the same issue:  I can save into the SAME DIRECTORy where it came from, but I cannot change directories .. as soon as I alter the location at all the diaglog blows up.

Something else of note about my MacPro .. When I upraded to Mavericks Creative Cloud did not successfully come over.  I no longer have a Creative Cloud interface.  I get a message that there is a new version of CC .. but last time I got the new version CC wouldn't let me log in .. and when Adobe worked on that problem they created so many more on my computer that I'm just going to run without the creative cloud for a while until all this gets sorted out.

So it looks like an Adobe problem from my end as I have problems ONLY with Adobe programs since the upgrade.  I am a full CC subscriber if that helps at all ..

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 6, 2013 4:18 AM   in reply to bonnieleek

Would you mind answering the question please?  Is the OS dialog set to the Coverflow view?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Have machine off when not in use.  Just rebooted so I could answer your question.

The OS dialog WAS set to coverflow.  I opened a new finder window and set it to detailed view.  Then started the procefure over again.  Opened LR.

I was able to import/export read and write successfullly to the LaCie.

Then I closed LR and changed to Coverflow.  Again I am able to read/write to the LaCie.

I can ALSO read/write to the LaCie from Photoshop .. and the Finder is still in Coverflow.

As of this minute my problem is mysteriously GONE.  (Well, I still can't log into Creative Cloud but that's another issue)

I am going to reboot the machine and see if it holds.

As far as I know there were NO changes to this computer since my post at 4:14 and this test at 8:08 .. and the computer was turned OFF the entire time.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 6, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to bonnieleek

Great, it's the same known issue with Coverflow then. Here's one of the official technotes: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/freeze-or-crash-using-open.html

Apparently the same can happen with coverflow in iTunes and Safari too, so you might want to avoid coverflow until Apple fix it.

For your CC error, I would suggest posting on the CC forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud as they'll know all the tricks for that software.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Okay .. after EVERYTHING was working WELL I made the mistake of taking an ADOBE UPDATE to my Photoshop CC.  Directly following THAT update (from ADOBE) both LR and PS fail as before.   Since ONLY Adobe made changes to my computer, how can Apple be the culprit?  As a matter of fact, even though my coverflow is NOT on, both LR and PS open their diaglogs in that view and I am unable to change that.  Certainly my Adobe programs are revealing this issue.  It sounds from your note above that Adobe is just treating it like an Apple issue.

Fortunately I did take a Time Machine backup BEFORE installing the Adobe updates so I can roll back.

UPDATE:

I opened InDesign and the open dialog opened in CoverFlow and failed.  The next time I used the open dialog I quickly changed the view to details (InDesign runs a little slower so I was able to do that).  Once I had changed the view, no problems .. all fixed (in InDesign)

Since I had successfully changed the view from CF to details in InDesign, I figured "maybe" all the adobe programs would recognize the change.  I then successfully opened Photoshop, which now opens with the details view and is successful.

At least I know HOW to make it work if it gets messed up again .. which happens whenever I update an Adobe program.

My finder was in DETAIL view before and after my updates.

The ONLY place where coverflow showed up was in the Adobe programs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 6, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to bonnieleek

If you google "mavericks coverflow crash" you'll find other people having problems in a variety of different software. For example, here's one from AutoDesk.  Apple will hopefully fix it in their first dot release.  Unfortunately early versions of most software exhibit irritating bugs, and Apple is no exception.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

If it is an Apple problem then how do you explain

1) everything was fine and working well until I took Adobe updates.  The Adobe updates were NOT to LR but to PS and ID .. but they affected LR and all other Adobe applications releative to this problem.

2) when apple's finder is set to detail view, the window in the Adobe programs is stuck on a view that looks excactly like "coverflow"

There well may be a compatibility issue between Apple and Adobe on this, but I think that to "wait" for Apple to solve it is too simplistic since I can create it simply by taking specific actions inside an Adobe program. 

Your solution of setting the Finder to non-coverflow works only as long as I don't take any more Adobe updates.

It's impossible to conceive that Adobe is not also complicit in this problem and one hopes they are also looking at it to find a solution so that updates can be taken without concern.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 6, 2013 11:59 PM   in reply to bonnieleek

Bonnie, I'm not here to argue about it. The tech note I linked to in post 23 says Adobe are working with Apple on the bug. If you have further concerns, please feel free to add them to the bug report I linked to in post 4. This is a user-to-user forum. Also bear in mind that view settings can be remembered per-folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Apologies Victoria ... was not aiming to to be argumentative but rather wanted to point out facts that I think are critical .. at last at this point where all we can do is avoid taking actions that have unwanted reprecussions.  Certainly your "tip" about avoiding CF helps and i appreciate that. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points