Skip navigation
TayAlex
Currently Being Moderated

Stop floating tabs from closing in Photoshop CS6

Oct 27, 2013 4:19 AM

I am going crazy here, been searching for ages how to do this and cant find the solution.

When I am working with various pictures in PS, I have like 10 open and every time I go out of photoshop and come back, they have all closed down to the docking window. I have to re-open them again from there, I want to STOP THEM from closing when I go to desktop or somewhere else. I want them to stay afloat. I know I can click Ctrl + mouse and "restore all windows" but that is also a nuisance because it resized my PS window and I have to push up teh layers palette again. Can anyone help pls?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to TayAlex

Your using a mac and which version?

In cs6 are you using the application frame and floating document windows?

So when you click on an open area on the desktop, photoshop and all the documents minimize to the dock?

How are you switching other open applications?

What happens if you use Cmd+Tab to switch between running applications?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to TayAlex

Do the pictures you don't have minimized already still open in the photoshop window and only the ones you already had minimized are in the windows taskbar?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to TayAlex

I can't seem to reproduce that on a windows 7 machine.

You using floating document windows in photoshop cs6 and do you have the taskbar buttons set to never combine or always combine?

Is photoshop cs6 updated to the latest version?

(Help>Updates from within photoshop cs6)

Maybe if you were to post a short video, like on YouTube, someone might spot the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 29, 2013 8:17 PM   in reply to TayAlex

TayAlex, you should try to get used to using Tabbed view (i.e., check the [ ] Open Documents As Tabs option)

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 29, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to TayAlex

TayAlex wrote:

No, I don't have ANY pictures minimized, they are all open in floating tabs and when I get back, they are all minimized in dropdown in taskbar

I think you mean Floating Windows. Editing in tabs is different.  Try resetting your Photoshop Preferences.  Photoshop Image windows should not minimize to the task bar when you minimize and restore Photoshop's window.

mm.jpgindow

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 30, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to TayAlex

Thanks for the video.  It has become clear you're minimizing the application with the "Show Desktop" feature.

I can reproduce that here as well on Windows 7.  I'd say it's a bug, though personally I avoid using "Show Desktop" entirely so would not have seen it without trying to follow your lead.  If you click on Photoshop's Minimize control it works as JJ showed.

You can make multiple documents visible in Tabbed view.  I noticed a long time ago that Adobe didn't work too hard to make the multi-document view work very well.  They apparently all prefer Tabbed view in house and made that work better, so I made the effort to switch around the time of Ps CS4.  I dislike tabbed interfaces in general.  I turn it off in my browsers, for example.  But within Photoshop I find it can mostly be tolerated.  It takes a few weeks to get used to, but IMO it's worth the effort because everything just works more smoothly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 30, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes it looks like clicking show desktop causes the problem. I never click on that I may hover over it on the Win 7 desktop which shows the desktop without minimizing windows. Looks like clicking on show desktop minimizes all windows and hides subwindows. Where minimizing the application window minimize the main Photoshop window and hides all sub windows withour minizing them.

Restoring PS window restores PS window and sub windows. However when show desktop is used sub windows have been minimized.

sd.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 30, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to JJMack

Every time I look at your desktop image it makes me want to get a glass of wine, JJ.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Oct 30, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes that why I don't have CC yet wine wins. BLT season is over time to change my desktop and switch back to red wine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 31, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to TayAlex

TayAlex, I don't know that you're going to find a solution, beyond waiting for Adobe possibly to fix this.

But I wanted to mention, since you keep making statements that make me feel you don't know this...  Tabbed view does NOT require just one document at a time to be shown on the screen.

Example:

TabbedViewMultipleDocuments.jpg

Look at the Window - Arrange menu.

For now you're going to have to get out of the habit of using the "Show Desktop" function of Windows.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to TayAlex

You might be able to set up an action that will get all the floating windows to reappear in the photoshop workspace.

Try using Window>Arrange>Consolidate All to Tabs then Window>Arrange>Float All in Windows

if the above will do, you can make an action using the Insert Menu Item to record the above two steps and then assign a function key to the action.

Also, holding down the Ctrl+Tab keys after going back to photoshop, should restore all the minimized floating windows to their previous positions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 1, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to TayAlex

Thanks for posting back that Control-Tab yields good results when the windows become "hidden" like that.  That's good to know.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points