Skip navigation
davidicus
Currently Being Moderated

nested style highlights pink as if there's a missing font (?)

Oct 27, 2013 3:21 PM

Tags: #indesign #style #nested

setting up a new document here, and trying to make the first character in each paragraph use Body 01 DROP CAPS character style. in this capture i've set it to the first three characters for testing (never mind the term drop caps; trying to use nested style here).

no matter what i set the typeface to in the character style, it won't display as nested. what would cause this?

nested_question.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 27, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to davidicus

What exactly is the character style Body 01 DROP CAPS? Why are you using the same name Body 01 for both Character and Paragraph Style? By the way what ID version are you using, Mac/Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to davidicus

Character styles that are applied through nesting do not show as applied character styles (because, technically, they are not or they would continue to be applied whe you edit the paragraphs style). Not quite sure what you mean by it won't show as nested, though.

Right now it looks like you are applying both a default paragraph style and a defaut character style. That's a mistake. Character styles should be applied only through nesting or to locally selected text.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to davidicus

Just curious about you using the same name. The question remains: what is the Body 01 DROP CAPS. Can you tell?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to davidicus

OK. May be you can walk us through how did you create the nested style. That's the only way we can figure out where the problem may be. Can you post a screen shot of body 01 paragraph style showing Drop Caps and Nested Styles? What fonts are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to davidicus

There is a hierarchy to styles. First, the paragraph style is applied to all type in the paragraph, including any nested character styles that are part of the paragraph style definition. Next any character styles are applied, which override the formatting assigned in the paragraph style, and finally, any formatting you apply locally by selecting text and changing the parameters is applied, and that overrides everything.

Local formatting overrides show up for selected text as a Plus sign after the style name in the Paragraph Styles panel. Do you see the plus sign when you select your text? I suspect not. More likely, you've applied a default character style to everything, so no matter what settings you have in your paragraph style they will be overridden by the applied character style. As I said before, character styles are used only for selected text. They are used for "special" text that needs to be different in some way from the other text in a paragraph -- the basic formatting for the entire paragraph is defined in the paragraph style.

When you highlight an entire paragraph there should NOT be a character style showing as applied as well. The character style should be either [None], indicating that no text has an overriding character style applied, or it should be blank, indicating that some portion of the text has a character style applied, but not the whole paragraph.

Bottom line, with no text selected make sure the character style is set to [None] before you begin adding text, and only apply character styles through Nested, Line, or GREP styles in your paragraph style, or by selecting specific text and manually applying the style. Manually applied character styles survive changes to the paragraph style, and are actually the most useful if they are fairly generic, applying just a color, or bold or italic, but not specifying a face or size, so they let the face and size change to match any changes made to the paragraph style -- you usually don't want 9 pt minion bold suddenly appearing in the middle of a paragraph that you've changed to 12 pt Helvetica unless it's a product branding. Instead a style that says only Bold would give you 12 pt Helvetica Bold.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think a problem appears with Character Styles if only the style name (like bold, italic, etc.) but not the font family name is saved. I run into similar problems. On the first place I thought that it is the best behavior to save only changes to the paragraph style properties into the Character Styles. This is correct, when it comes to any other property (like color, scaling, caps, tracking, etc) than font style. The problem is that specific style types have different style names in other font families or are not existing at all. E.g. some call their italic style simple as Italic, some add a number, some call it Cursive.

The only solution I see is to specify in a Character style never the font style alone but always in combination with the family. So I get at least no problems with missing glyphs.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 3:40 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Indeed, specifying a type stylename, such as bold or italic, for a font that does not have a bold or italic variant, whether because of naming differences or because that style simply does not exist or was never installed, is going to give you the missing font issue, but I still prefer not to include a font name in style definitions unless it is a necessary, unchanging, component of the formatting to be altered.

But that is a good point here. The pink highlight, does, indeed, denote a missing font, and the problem amy be that the font you specified in your style does not actually exist on your system.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points